Windows 7 and Vista features removed from Windows 8

General discussion

• Because Windows 8 is currently at the Developer Preview stage, I can understand that many features and UI bits are missing. What I don't know and would like to know at this stage is which of these are going to make a comeback in the beta and which have been removed intentionally. Currently the following features are missing in Windows 8 (either removed or accidentally broken due to newly introduced bugs):

• Folder conflict prompts when merging/overwriting folders. Explorer silently merges them!!
    • Explorer status bar no longer shows free disk space, total size of items without selection, computer zone, infotip information and also doesn't allow Explorer addons like Classic Shell to show this information on the status bar.
    • Advanced Appearance settings in Personalization control panel
    • Windows Flip 3D
    • Network Map in Network and Sharing Center
    • Technical information from BSOD like memory address ranges
    • Windows Boot logo
    • Chkdsk when run at startup does not display any information besides % complete
    • Cannot turn on both the Details pane and Preview pane independently of the other.
    • Ability to resize the Details pane/Preview pane to a smaller size than default
    • File History feature (History Vault) seems to have replaced Previous Versions which means no more Shadow Copies for local disks
    • The new Task Manager is missing the ability to remember the last active tab, window management functions (Minimize, Maximize, Tile, Cascade) on the Processes tab (what was formerly called the Applications tab), and "Show processes from all users" option and tons of other features.
    • Protected Storage service for backward compatibility with apps which store password in PStore
    • Codec support: Dolby codecs, MPEG-2 etc

I would like a reply from the appropriate team confirming that these will be reinstated in the beta, RC or RTM. Removing features is a no-no, Microsoft, please don't do this AGAIN.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:53 PM

All replies

• Windows Development is very complicated process, Microsoft Product Team would take a look at all feedbacks that they recieved as much as they can and they they would decide about requirements and how to address them.

No body could say it untill RTM that majority of features been assigned , untill then nothing is for sure. May be something better added to Windows as a feature.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 11:27 AM
  • No you're mistaken. Feature set is locked down completely by after beta. If something is not in the beta, it won't be in RC or RTM. Only bugs are fixed once Windows development reaches beta till the RC stage, features don't change after beta. And then the build polished and signed off as RTM. The very reason we have these early builds before the beta is so we can give feedback. As a paying customer of Windows, I think I deserve to know if the features I use are going to be there in the next version or no.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 6:33 PM
  • It's not a guarantee that features won't change after the beta. If Microsoft decides that the feature set in Windows 8 is flawed enough, they could make feature changes after the product becomes a beta. Look at the Windows Chicago and Windows Whistler betas, for example. Windows 7 could have a locked feature set once it was in beta becasue of the issues with Windows Vista, but when Windows is changing as radically as it is with Windows 8, locking features once the product reaches Beta could be a bad idea. As for these features in future versions of Windows, I don't know whether they will return or not. I would like to see Flip 3D return, and I don't see any reason to not let users choose the Windows Classic display style, though I don't use it myself.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 7:11 PM
  • The days of Whistler and Chicago are far behind us. Microsoft's development methodology and terminology is clear now. Only bug fixing once the product reaches beta. Raymond Chen clearly discloses it here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/gg675933.aspx
    Sunday, October 23, 2011 8:04 AM