none
VM Disk provision for MS SQL database

Question

• Hi,

For MS-SQL Database server on a Windows Server 2012 R2 running on a virtual machine in Vmware, Disk should be thin provision or thick provision. Please share link of Microsoft or vmware product documentation and not blog 

Thanks in advance,

Nikhil P Desai

Friday, November 18, 2016 6:56 AM

All replies

• Well, that depends, if you are looking for more performance, thick should be the way to go, as you do not need to wait for the disk to growth when you need it. 

However, if your DB doesn't growth much, and you already assign enough disk space when you create the DB (or restore), then you can go with thin to save the disk on the hypervisor, which means your vm team happy :)

One more thing to note is how heavy your IO will be, if you do have more then 1 datastore and they are from different disks (SAN etc), you might get benefit on placing different usage drives to different datastore (data / log etc). I do see previously that some might even need to use RDM to give disk to SQL in order to get the performance.

Friday, November 18, 2016 7:15 AM
  • Hi Nikhil P Desai,

Since the issue is more related to VMware, I would suggest you post in VMware forum or consult with your VM engineer for better result. 

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 21, 2016 6:06 AM