Will the "Collect Signatures" workflow on Sharepoint 2007 work with Word 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can someone tell me if this is possible with these versions - I can't see anything for workflows on Word 2010. The Document has a signature line and is in a document library. I don't see Workflow in document item's menu option "Workflows"?

Thanks.

John.

Thursday, April 7, 2011 10:30 AM

Answers

• Hi John,

The workflow option is hidden by default. Please go to File -> Options -> Customize Ribbon -> Select All Commands -> Find the Workflow options and add it to a New Group.
    After that, the workflow option is available on the ribbon or Save & Send group under the File.

Thanks & Regards.

Lily Wu
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Lily Wu || Microsoft Online Community Support Engineer || SharePoint
    • Marked as answer by John Guilbert Friday, April 8, 2011 9:14 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by John Guilbert Friday, April 8, 2011 9:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Friday, May 6, 2011 8:20 AM
    Friday, April 8, 2011 1:46 AM
  • Please note there are different editions of Office 2010. Some are not supporting starting Workflows from Office applications self. As far as I could see "Office Standard 2010" is not supporting and "Office Professional Plus" is supporting.

Another problem is generated by the fact that when checking in to a Major version from Office application (which is supported), the approval workflow is not fired, while document status is set to pending. No task is assigned to the approver(s).

Thursday, April 28, 2011 10:30 AM

All replies

• Hi John,

The workflow option is hidden by default. Please go to File -> Options -> Customize Ribbon -> Select All Commands -> Find the Workflow options and add it to a New Group.
    After that, the workflow option is available on the ribbon or Save & Send group under the File.

Thanks & Regards.

Lily Wu

• Marked as answer by John Guilbert Friday, April 8, 2011 9:14 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by John Guilbert Friday, April 8, 2011 9:43 AM
    Friday, April 8, 2011 1:46 AM
  • Sorry Lily - I have added the Workflow button to interface in WORD 2010 and added a word 2010 document in Sharepoint 2007. This Document library has two Workflows, but the workflow button in word is disabled even though I have added a Signature Line.

Can you help?

Thanks.

John. 

Friday, April 8, 2011 9:14 AM
  • Hi John,

Sorry for the delay.

As per my understanding, you see the Workflow option on Word 2010 but it doesn't list any assicated workflows. Is that the scenario? Or only the signature workflow was missing? Please ensure that you opened the document from SharePoint library.

Is it a custom signature workflow or SharePoint built-in signature workflow? Do you have mix versions of Office on the machine?

Thanks & Regards.

Lily Wu

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 2:21 AM
  • Hi Lilly,

Word 2010 and Sharepoint 2007

Just back from holidays.

I have a Document Library which I have added a Document. I edited the document and added a "Signature Line" for my manager to sign document. I saved and closed. I added a "Collect Signatures" workflow to this Documet Library (only available setting "Allow workflow to be manually started...." is selected). I then opened the document again (edit mode). I then add the "Workflows" Command to the Home/Custom tab and notice that this "Workflows" icon is disabled.

Could it be that someone else has to edit this for "Workflows" icon to be enabled????

If I am getting confused on how this is used, could you give me a quick walkthrough to start workflow.

Thanks.

John.   

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 11:05 AM
  • Just tested what I said above. My boss went into the document and the workflows were listed. Is this the way it should work? I don't see them in my Word 2010
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 11:25 AM
  • Please note there are different editions of Office 2010. Some are not supporting starting Workflows from Office applications self. As far as I could see "Office Standard 2010" is not supporting and "Office Professional Plus" is supporting.

Another problem is generated by the fact that when checking in to a Major version from Office application (which is supported), the approval workflow is not fired, while document status is set to pending. No task is assigned to the approver(s).

Thursday, April 28, 2011 10:30 AM