Orientation of 3D translation handles different in artboard from XAML source RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Blend to incorporate a 3D object into a Windows forms application. I've successfully bound the value of slider controls to parts of the 3D object to enable the user to rotate and translate them using the sliders.

However, I'm running into a problem. For the initial parts of the 3D objects where I made successful bindings, the axes in the translation handles in the artboard match the coordinates in the Transform3D elements: for example, using the X axis translation handle to move the object along the X axis causes a change in the matching X-coordinate property of the transform.

However, I now have an object where translating the object along the X axis using the red translation handle in the artboard actually results in changes in both the X and Z coordinate properties in the transform. When I bind the slider value to just the X-coordinate property, and test the project, moving the slider causes the object to translate only in the X axis, which is the behaviour that one would expect.

So there seems to be a strong difference in behaviour between what happens visually in the artboard and the text in the XAML, and between what happens in the artboard and what happens at run-time.

Can anyone shed light on this?

A related question: how does Blend determine the orientation and origin of the artboard's 3D translation/rotation handles?

Thanks,
    Tim.
    Tuesday, April 1, 2008 3:53 PM