none
How to Mirror a Gesture in Visual Gesture Builder? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to create a wave gesture using Visual Gesture Builder. Ideally, I would like this gesture to be detected when the user is waving with their hand above their head using EITHER ARM.

I created a bunch of clips of me waving, all using the right arm. Then I created a Wave project in Visual Gesture Builder, and tagged the clips. When I click on the analysis file, Wave.a in Visual Gesture Builder, I can set the property "Mirror Left Right" to true, so that the analysis results detect my gesture with either arm. This is the behavior I want: I have ONE gesture that is detected when it is performed with either arm, but there is no need to "train" by tagging clips of both arms, since you can "mirror" the training to the other arm.

However, when I build my solution into a .gbd file like this, and try to implement a simple gesture detector in Unity, the gesture is not mirrored. It is only detected when performed with my right arm, since all my training clips and tagging were done using only right arm.

My question is, how can I make my gesture in the .gdb file behave the same way as the analysis results with "Mirror Left Right"? The best I was able to do was to create a separate Wave_Left and Wave_Right gesture, and allow Visual Gesture Builder to automatically mirror my training clips/tags. But this is not ideal, because I now have to try to detect two different gestures in Unity instead of just one. How can I have one gesture that is detected when performed with either arm?

Any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

It probably isn't important for this question, but my gesture detector in Unity is basically just using the code here:

https://github.com/katvharris/unity5-kinectgestures

Thursday, September 22, 2016 5:55 PM

Answers

• I was able to figure it out. It was necessary to set "Ignore Left Arm" and "Ignore Right Arm" to false. I previously had ignore left arm set to true, since if the right hand is waving I don't really care what the left is doing.
    • Marked as answer by Eric7342189047 Thursday, September 22, 2016 6:21 PM
    Thursday, September 22, 2016 6:21 PM