SSAS measure group aggregatefunction RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When I created a new measure group in a cube and view the measures properties, majority of the measures are having the aggregate SUM or COUNT. I did not remember setting this property value for the aggregate function. As such, how does these aggregate function values come about? Does the Analysis Services auto select the aggregate type base on the relationship between the measure and the dimensions?

Thanks

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 4:05 PM

Answers

• Hi

Yes, Aggregate will auto detect the defined Usage(SUM, Count, DistinctCount).

While writing calculated members if we use Aggregate, It will get the predefined usage

eg: We can't use the SUM over DistinctCount while doing calculated members but if we use Aggregate then it will use Usage of DistinctCount

Refer to this

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms365396.aspx

Prav

• Proposed as answer by Elvis Long Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by imiah Monday, August 19, 2013 3:47 AM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 12:14 AM
  • Hi,

I think that number data types defaults to SUM() and text data types to COUNT(). It is the data types of the attributes in the measure group that decides.

HTH

Thomas Ivarsson

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I think that number data types defaults to SUM() and text data types to COUNT(). It is the data types of the attributes in the measure group that decides.

HTH

Thomas Ivarsson

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:34 PM
  • Thanks. Any reference on this association?
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 12:07 AM
  • Hi

Yes, Aggregate will auto detect the defined Usage(SUM, Count, DistinctCount).

While writing calculated members if we use Aggregate, It will get the predefined usage

eg: We can't use the SUM over DistinctCount while doing calculated members but if we use Aggregate then it will use Usage of DistinctCount

Refer to this

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms365396.aspx

Prav

• Proposed as answer by Elvis Long Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:51 AM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 12:14 AM