Add Service Reference from WF4 Service project , probable bug RRS feed

• Question

• I have WSDL from a Java 3rd party web service.

I can add service reference from a VS2k12 console application no problem and call it successfully. It generates RPC style XMLSerialised proxy with no message contracts. I have to make sure that 'allow async calls' is unchecked, or it doesn't work.

From a WF4 workflow service app, if I add service reference I have 2 problems:

a) irrespective of settings, message contracts are always generated

b) all generated port methods return the same response message, which do not match the xsd , and xml de serialisation fails to recognize the responses (so responses are always null).

I have to manually edit the generated XAMLXs and Reference.cs to make this work.

Has anyone come across this, and what can be done to fix it?

Frank Szendzielarz

Friday, November 8, 2013 6:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

"This looks like a VS / Add Service Reference bug. "

Thanks for your feedback.

Perhaps this issue is related with third party WSDL,  We will look into this issue according to your information you provided.

I think you could also consider submitting this issue to Microsoft connect site(http://connect.microsoft.com/), our engineers will reproduce this issue according to the proof you provide, and they will evaluate this issue seriously, then we will give quick and positive response for you.

Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Edited by Angie Xu Tuesday, November 26, 2013 1:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Tuesday, November 26, 2013 1:23 AM
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 1:56 AM

All replies

• Hi Frank

Adding a service reference in a workflow application works a little differently than a regular WCF application. When you select Add Service Reference and specify the URL to the service the metadata is downloaded and custom activities are generated that allow you to call the WCF service or WCF workflow service you added a reference to. After adding a service reference, rebuild the solution so the generated activities are built. They will then appear in the workflow designer toolbox. Note however, that this will only work if you are adding a service reference within a workflow solution. The following web cast shows how to add a service reference in other types of projects: Calling a WCF Service from a Workflow in a Web Project.

Adding two or more service references to services that contain the same operation name will cause a problem. The generated activities will call only the first service operation. To work around this issue rename the service operations so they are different or change the endpoint configuration name within each generated activity.

hope it helps,

Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, November 11, 2013 1:58 AM
  • Hi,

"This looks like a VS / Add Service Reference bug. "

Thanks for your feedback.

Perhaps this issue is related with third party WSDL,  We will look into this issue according to your information you provided.

I think you could also consider submitting this issue to Microsoft connect site(http://connect.microsoft.com/), our engineers will reproduce this issue according to the proof you provide, and they will evaluate this issue seriously, then we will give quick and positive response for you.

Regards

• Edited by Angie Xu Tuesday, November 26, 2013 1:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Tuesday, November 26, 2013 1:23 AM
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 1:56 AM