Windows store app simulator keeps loading forever

Question

• I'm working on Visual Studio 2012 running on Windows 8 Pro (32 bit OS running on a 64 bit architecture), developing Windows Store app with C++ The app runs smooth on "local machine". But when I try to run it on the simulator, Build and Deploy succeeds but the simulator keeps loading forever! (dots coming from left and leaving at right)

When I close the simulator from the taskbar, VS gives me the following error: Unable to start the simulator. Cannot process request because the process (####) has exited.

I've been searching everywhere for a solution for more than a month now. The possible solutions I found were:
    1. Changing the fDenyChildConnections registry.
    2. Checking the VPN security properties.
    3. Updating graphics driver.
    4. Disconnecting all networks.
    5. Restarting VS/making new project.
    6. Launching simulator from C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Windows Simulator\11.0\Microsoft.Windows.Simulator.exe (doesn't work from there either. Just keeps loading.)
    7. Updating/Repairing VS. Installing windows updates, checking system files through sfc /scannow.
    8. Running VS as administrator.
    9. Allowing remote desktop connections.
    10. Enabling app through firewall, disabling antivirus..

I installed VS on my PC through the same installation copy and simulator works there fine. Also, my friend has the same model of laptop and simulator is running on his laptop too (although he does have a 64-bit windows).

Please tell me that there's a solution to this!

• Changed type Code Drunk Sunday, February 16, 2014 5:00 AM
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:38 PM

Answers

• I performed a clean install of Windows 8.1 x64 and the simulator is running smoothly. I guess running 32 bit windows on a 64 bit architecture was the cause of this issue
    • Marked as answer by Code Drunk Thursday, March 6, 2014 4:58 PM
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 4:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Sorry for late response.

I strongly suggest you raise your question here, I'm not sure if I can solve this issue for you since I do not meet such issue before and the answer I provided are might be too general.

The Link above I think they will help you with a satisfied solution.

Best Wishes!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey. Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, February 17, 2014 7:35 AM
  • But it says: How would you like to pay for support? Cost of $259.00 per support request.

What does that mean?

Monday, February 17, 2014 3:39 PM
  • Hi,

You should pay for that support!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey. Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 7:12 AM
  • Thank you for your response.

But I think paying $259 (which, in my currency is 27,189) doesn't make sense to a student who is trying to get a solution to this same bug: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/804296/visual-studio-simulator-keeps-loading-it-freezes-tried-everything-nothing-works

Sunday, February 23, 2014 3:50 PM
  • I performed a clean install of Windows 8.1 x64 and the simulator is running smoothly. I guess running 32 bit windows on a 64 bit architecture was the cause of this issue
    • Marked as answer by Code Drunk Thursday, March 6, 2014 4:58 PM
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 4:57 PM
  • Hi,

same problem here. The simulator worked fine, but for some weeks now he kepps loading forever. I tried all hints here, but nothing helped.

So please HELP!!

Hanno

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 9:45 AM
  • Nobody to help?

Hanno

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 1:36 AM
  • Hello all, hope this can help.

After I tried all the method described in the post, I reviewed last activity on my PC, and I remember that I disabled some services, judging them unnecessary.

I reactivated the services one by one and I discovered that there should be a relationship with terminal server.

Indeed, after I reactivated "Remote Desktop Services" and started, now simulator starts immediately!

Let me know if this worked for you!

Ciao

• Edited by Superelans Friday, December 5, 2014 8:06 AM
    Friday, December 5, 2014 7:09 AM
  • Hi,I found a set of *.reg files ( > 150) to repair the PC and tried them. One of them repaired my PC and the simulator works again. Because you have to reset your PC, to any effect, it's hard to say which of them.

Thanks for help

Hanno

• Proposed as answer by Hanno11 Monday, December 8, 2014 8:26 AM
    Monday, December 8, 2014 8:26 AM