none
Looking for recommendations on hardware/software configuration for deploying new Web App using SQl Server, and virtualization. RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of moving all of my aspnet Web App developed with VS 2010, and SQL Server 2008. 

I am expecting to have 3 boxes running, one for the ASPNet App, One for SQL Server databases, and one for the ASP State Server.  I have a few questions.

1. ) Is it practicle to have my aspnet application totally loaded in ram on my aspnet box, and since the session state is stored in a different box, would the aspnet box ever have a read/wriite to the disk drives other than when the application has been loaded.  If not, I am looking at having medium speed disk drives since their speed would only be critical upon boot-up and loading the web App.

2. )  I am looking to have SSD drives for my Main SQL Servers but have some concerns.  I have 6 SSD drives running in my development server in a Striping  (Raid 0) array, and reading from them is off the charts, but writing to them appears to be slower than the raptors that I had with my previous development system.  Since I am reading much more often then I am writing, I am considering using them anyway.  Is there any downside to using SSD drives on a SQL Server.

3. ) With virtualization, I a am a little confused on where it is a benefit other than to assure isolated processes for different applications running on the same hardware.  For example, I can understand that if a hosting company has shared servers that they might implement virtualization to assure that one companies applications or lack of security doesn't effect the other, but I can't see how it would improve performance over having multiple applications running on one operating system vs. multiple operating systems running one application.  Am I wrong on this? I can't see any benefit to implementing virtualizion under my circumstance, but am looking for advice.  I would assume that it makes much more sense for me to run all of the web apps as different sites under 1 instlalation of IIS 7, instead of virtual machines running IIS 7.0 and one web app each time.

Thanks

DCSSR
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 1:59 PM

All replies

• I don't know about ussing SSD in a production environment but on development, this post <a href="http://codemadesimple.wordpress.com/2011/05/03/ssdpower/" target="_blank"> here</a>&nbsp;explains in detail about SSD's usage in a very large .NET project. The results/improvements were outstanding and we are very optimistic about it. Check it out. The 4k random writes really make the difference. Also, benchmark for the currently  ssd models to buy a proper one. There are a lot of SSD's models out there, but not all of them fit for extreme scenarios.

Rafael Ribeiro Software Architect @ indra
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 10:15 AM