Capture FROM email address of incoming item and then send auto-reply to that address RRS feed

• Question

• WSS3.0

I can do this easily enough if I reply to "User who created current item".  However that only works for internal users.  I want this to work for people outside of the domain.  I know that it captures the email address of the sender because I see it in the database (nvarchar3).  It has brackets (<>) around it in the db.

I have things properly set to SEND to an external address.  That is, if I put a specific external email address in the TO of the workflow, the email is received by that external user.  However I see no good method of dynamically grabbing the senders address in workflow and sending to it.

When I try to use "Workflow Lookup" to find the email address of the 'current item', I only see the choice of 'Email From'.  I've tied this with no success.  I don't understand, because if I try "email from" plus a specific address, the specific address receives the email, and that email appears to have been sent to both addresses, properly formated.... but in every test the 'Email From' via workflow lookup is not working.

"Email Sender" is available for 'Current Item' in other areas of the workflow.  If you add it to the body of an email it appears to be the email address.  So I am able to first assign that field to a variable, and then use the variable in the TO of the email part of the workflow.  But it fails.  Testing this by also including my own internal address seems to indicate that this "Email Sender" is providing "a href= mailto:emailaddress"

I'm hoping I'm just missing something obvious.  This seems like it would be simple out of the box functionality.

• Edited by tmiller112 Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:27 PM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:18 PM

Answers

• Well 4 years later, I happen to come across this requirement again. This time though I figured out the answer very easily (sigh... lol). Created a calculated field in the list, with this value: =MID([E-Mail From],FIND("<",[E-Mail From])+1,(FIND(">",[E-Mail From]))-(FIND("<",[E-Mail From])+1))

Then your workflow can email to that address. 

Maybe someday this will help someone :)

• Marked as answer by tmiller112 Tuesday, August 2, 2016 4:04 PM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2016 4:04 PM

All replies

• I'm having the same problem.  I can easily send to internal users but having problem with sending autoreply to external users when workflow is closed.  

Have you got any news on this matter ?

Thursday, September 27, 2012 11:01 AM
  • No I'm afraid I eventually just gave up on this.  Eventually I expect that answer won't be good enough.

Are you able to send to specific external addresses via a workflow?  I am.  I just didn't have a way of grabbing the incoming email address in a way that it was properly formatted for the workflow to send to.  Seems like there would be a simple no code solution, but I remember trying hard to find it with no luck.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 11:26 AM
  • yes, it is easy to send to a specific e-mail address, external or internal.  But catching it from the e-mail From in the workflow i can't find that out.

I will probably spent few more hours on this, and then give up and use another way :)

I will post it here if i find a solution. 

Thursday, September 27, 2012 11:38 AM
  • Well 4 years later, I happen to come across this requirement again. This time though I figured out the answer very easily (sigh... lol). Created a calculated field in the list, with this value: =MID([E-Mail From],FIND("<",[E-Mail From])+1,(FIND(">",[E-Mail From]))-(FIND("<",[E-Mail From])+1))

Then your workflow can email to that address. 

Maybe someday this will help someone :)

• Marked as answer by tmiller112 Tuesday, August 2, 2016 4:04 PM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2016 4:04 PM