How To Batch Print (Multiple Documents in one Operation)?

Question

• Greetings -

My app is a document management and display tool. I'd like to add print capability, and especially would like to be able to batch print, say, all the documents in one logical folder. 

When I handle PrintTaskRequested, however, I am only able to create one PrintTask at a time. Even if I show the print options programmatically, that means the user will have to select "Print" for every document in the batch - where there may be hundreds or more. Obviously that is not ideal.

Also, merging all of the documents into one "PrintDocument" is likewise not something I want to do. In the print-to-pdf scenario, I want the user to end up with separately named files for each document. Even in the print-to-paper scenario, a lot of my users will have high end photocopier/printers with staple capability. So, really, I need the printer to believe it's receiving multiple discrete "Documents" .

So, is anyone aware of a way to batch print in WinRT? Thanks a bunch!

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 7:30 PM

Answers

• The best lead I can recommend is to attempt to create your own IPrintDocumentSource and attempt to stream multiple docs to the printer. However, this is pretty much against the OS level UX recommendations.

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Direct2Dapp-printing-sample-9869f99c/sourcecode?fileId=63769&pathId=1485731689

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 9:58 PM

All replies

• The best lead I can recommend is to attempt to create your own IPrintDocumentSource and attempt to stream multiple docs to the printer. However, this is pretty much against the OS level UX recommendations.

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Direct2Dapp-printing-sample-9869f99c/sourcecode?fileId=63769&pathId=1485731689

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 9:58 PM
  • Thanks! I'll check it out.

However I think instead I'm going to try to port PDF-Sharp to WinRT and just export PDFs programmatically. That way people don't need Acrobat. It already works great in WPF and porting it doesn't look like it will be *TOO* bad. :) Then people can batch print to a real printer if they want.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 2:20 PM