Wording of Response web pages is different to specified text RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm working on a prototype application using Windows Error Reporting, and right now I'm trialling Responses. I'm trying to understand why the wording on the web page I see (after submitting an error report for an event that I've registered a Response for) is completely different from the wording I've specified on the Winqual website's Response Management page.

Two examples:

1a) My registered response #948 for event #64109781 in Winqual's Response Management page:

Product(s): WERDemo 1.0.0.0
    URL to Solution/Info: http://www.qsrinternational.com
    Response Template: Working On A Fix
    Response Template Text: ##CompanyName## working on a fix Thank you for submitting an error report. Problem description The error was likely caused by: ##ProductName## More information ##ProductName## was created by ##CompanyName##. ##CompanyName## is aware of the problem and working on a fix. To learn more, see the ##CompanyName## website. ##ResponseURL##

1b) What I see on the Windows Error Reporting web page after submitting an error report for this event:

http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Response.aspx/7412/en-au/5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0?SGD=e65d413f-fb6a-43c9-9310-018a1921e3ce

Problem caused by WER Demo

This problem was caused by WER Demo. WER Demo was created by QSR International.

QSR International is aware of this problem and working as quickly as possible to make a solution available.

Recommendation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To learn more about this problem, QSR International recommends that you go online to the following website.

QSR International

2a) My registered response #997 for event #64109918 in Winqual's Response Management page:

Product(s): WERDemo
    URL to Solution/Info: http://www.qsrinternational.com/products_nvivo_service-packs.aspx
    Response Template: Custom Template
    Additional Info: Thank you for reporting this error to QSR International. A fix for this error is available in WER Demo 1.0 Service Pack 1. To download this service pack, please follow the link above.

2b) What I see on the Windows Error Reporting web page after submitting an error report for this event:

http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Response.aspx/7813/en-au/5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0?SGD=d12dd974-7324-4266-9560-863419e3743e

Download updates for WER Demo

This problem was caused by WER Demo. WER Demo was created by QSR International.

Solution

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A newer version of WER Demo is available for download that will address this problem. QSR International recommends updating to the latest version of WER Demo to take advantage of security and stability improvements.

Go to the QSR International website and install the latest version of WER Demo:

QSR International

---

A related question: I see Winqual is attempting to localize the text displayed on these response web pages (e.g. replace the culture "en-au" with "de-de" in the URLs above, and the text is shown in German). How does this work, and what is supposed to be displayed on the response web page for different cultures if I've specified a Custom Template with custom text on the Response Management pages? Is there any way to force the page to be displayed in English?

Regards,

Marcus Ogden
    QSR International

www.qsrinternational.com

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:29 PM forum consolidation (From:Windows Error Reporting for ISVs)
    Monday, September 24, 2007 1:50 AM

Answers

• Hi Marcus,

It looks like you were granted the 'test' response without changes to the template used.  This is common practice when folks are testing winqual since there are localizations for the templates already in place.  My concern is that you should have had a follow-up email explaining the 'test' process.  It looks like that never happened.

As for the localization... the browser determines the language displayed.  We can offer a <language> only response but that would be a special cased process with manual steps.  You would most likely need to engage WER@Microsoft.com for assistance in that case to ensure that your business needs are met with the response and the single language availability.  Does that make sense?

Kind regards,

-Jason

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 4:49 PM