Uninstall VS2008, Visual Studio Web Authoring Component RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install and/or uninstall VS2008 on a Windows 7 machine.   The install fails on installing component - MS Visual Studio Web Authoring Component.  Looking at the installed programs list in control panel, it shows this program as installed.   So I tried uninstalling this, but the uninstall fails.

Here is a section from the uninstall log:

IsProductTransitionToMModeSafe: An exception was caught, therefore transition to MMode is unsafe for product:
    Error: The install state of the ProductCode {90120000-0021-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}, which is referenced in the ProductCodes registry value, is not INSTALLSTATE_DEFAULT.  The install state state is 1.  Therefore transition to MMode is unsafe for product: V Type: InstalledProductStateCorrupt.
    Showing parent-less message Title: 'Setup Errors', Message: 'This product installation has been corrupted.  Run setup again from the CD, DVD, or other original installation source.'
    Message returned: 1
    Error: Catalyst boot time check failed Type: PreReqCheckFailure.

How can I get rid of this thing and get to a clean VS2008 installation?  Note that this piece is actually a part of Office 2007 which is not installed on my system.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 3:10 PM

Answers

• Hi Max,

Thanks for your email. And from the event log file you offered me, I find the following error message: [10/05/12,09:38:43] Visual C++ Runtime Pre-requisites: ***ERRORLOG EVENT*** : Error: Installation failed for component Visual C++ Runtime Pre-requisites. MSI returned error code 1612.

For error code "1612", it means "The installation source for this product is not available." So, please first make sure your Visual C++ 2008 installation media is not corrupted.

Also, you can try manually installing Visual C++ Runtime Pre-requisites in the path: ....\VCExpress\WCU\vcredist_x86.exe. After this component has been well installed, please run the installer of VC2008 again to complete the installation.

Also take a look at YiChun's reply in this case for further information.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, October 8, 2012 5:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Max,

For your current scenario, I think that the VS2008 Uninstall Utility should be your friend. That tool will help you to uninstall VS2008 automatically and completely. You can get it here: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=105801

After you uninstall VS2008 completely, please install VS2008 again.

If you still get errors during the installation process, please use the collect.exe tool to collect the installation logs and then upload the vslogs.cab file in the %temp% folder to the SkyDrive site.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 3:16 AM
  • After I ran the VS2008 Uninstall Utility, I checked the Programs and Features list. "MS Visual Studio Web Authoring Component" was still installed and not removable.

I think tried a new install of VS2008 C++ Express.  This failed also at the Visual C++ Runtime Pre-requisites.  I believe this is a collection of things that includes the Web Authoring Component.

see:

I have created a vslogs.cab file using Collect but I don't think that will be worth anything since it doesn't seem to collect the most relevant logs.  And it is collecting a lot of irrelevant and possibly private information.

And what is a skydrive site?  I really don't want to install yet another Microsoft utility for fear everything else will stop working.  It there an alternative way to get it to MS.

Thursday, October 4, 2012 6:20 PM
  • Hi Max,

Thanks for your response. If you do not would like to upload the vslogs.cab file to the SkyDrive, you can send it to me via email: v-vison at Microsoft dot com.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]

Friday, October 5, 2012 3:10 AM
  • Will do.

Thanks.

Friday, October 5, 2012 1:34 PM
  • Hi Max,

Thanks for your email. And from the event log file you offered me, I find the following error message: [10/05/12,09:38:43] Visual C++ Runtime Pre-requisites: ***ERRORLOG EVENT*** : Error: Installation failed for component Visual C++ Runtime Pre-requisites. MSI returned error code 1612.

For error code "1612", it means "The installation source for this product is not available." So, please first make sure your Visual C++ 2008 installation media is not corrupted.

Also, you can try manually installing Visual C++ Runtime Pre-requisites in the path: ....\VCExpress\WCU\vcredist_x86.exe. After this component has been well installed, please run the installer of VC2008 again to complete the installation.

Also take a look at YiChun's reply in this case for further information.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]

Monday, October 8, 2012 5:17 AM