Find by County RRS feed

• Question

• I've been working with a Virtual Earth system that takes a (United States) County and State value and performs a .Find(where) call with these values.

The search strings appear as "[COUNTY_NAME] County, [STATE], USA" when a county is supplied and "[STATE], USA" otherwise.

I was informed by my team that these values used to work, and at some point the Virtual Earth service changes and now returns an error or erroneous results for some of these queries.

Even http://maps.live.com/ cannot find certain counties, while it retrieves others.

My response for the meantime has been to check the result of the .Find() call, and if it returns an error, to default to the state level.

Is this a known issue with Virtual Earth? It appears, from my end, to be a simple data problem of being unable to locate some counties, as it works for others.

A few example queries:

"No Results"
    Appling County, Georgia, USA
    Lee County, Georgia, USA

Works fine:
    Multnomah County, Oregon, USA

I do not need to highlight or outline these counties, merely center the map upon them. Does anyone have any suggestions for possible alternate solutions? My company would prefer to not have to maintain a list of coordinates for each county in the United States.

Thank you in advance for your time.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 6:08 PM

Answers

• To save anyone some time in the future, I was able to solve my own problem, minutes after posting (of course):

Turns out there has been a change in the way these requests are formed.

Appling County, Georgia, USA should be changed to Appling (County), Georgia, USA.

That makes the difference, and that query will even default to the state level if the county name can't be located!
    • Marked as answer by GruntledCoder Tuesday, February 17, 2009 6:24 PM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 6:23 PM