none
Transfer Problem VS2013/VS2015

Question

• Hi,
    some time ago I developed a Visual Basic Application using a Win7/Visual Studio (VS) 2013 environment.
    I needed to update this Application now after I had moved the files to a new computer with a Win10/ VS 2015 environment.

Opening the *.vbproj file I got a series of errors:

Invalid symbol kind: namespace

BC30002
    BC30590
    BC30456

As I don't know how to correct these error, I would appreciate any help to resolve this issue.

In an attempt to resolve it, I had installed VS 2015 twice - it did not help.

Best regards - Walter

wafest42

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 2:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Walter,

Thanks for your response.

>>Maybe I should uninstall VS2015 and install VS 2013 on the new Win10 Computer?

I am not sure whether your VB project was compatible with VS2013. You could try to install the VS2013 and try to open the VB project in VS2013.

>>I can see copying the code from the old VB Project into a new VB 2015 project, but how would I copy the old Form?

Generally when you copy the codes into the Form.vb. After build the project. The form will achieve the corresponding function.

In addition, if your project was not too large. I suggest you'd better re-develop it in VS2015 directly.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Friday, July 15, 2016 1:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have just installed Visual Studio 2015 on my new Windows 10 computer (64 Bit) and I am trying to work on a visual basic project, which was developed using an earlier version (visual basic espress 2010(?)). Opening using the *.sln file, I got the error message "Invalid symbol kind: namespace" and I found no help as to resolve that issue.

I'd appreciate any helpful discussion on that issue. Thanks and best regards

Walter

wafest42

Friday, July 8, 2016 9:39 AM
  • Hi Walter,

Please create a default Visual Basic project with Visual Studio 2015, whether the new project also has this issue or not?

If the new project works fine, the problem should be related the project itself, there may be some problem when upgrading. Please check the .NET Framework version in the original project and in Visual Studio 2015, please make sure the .NET Framework is not changed.

And you also can move the original project files to the new project and then rebuild it again to check whether the problem can be fixed.

If the default application also has this issue, there may be some problem on your Visual Studio installation, please try repair your Visual Studio through Visual Studio installer.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, July 11, 2016 8:59 AM
  • Thanks, Weiwei, for the tips, which I will try.

Best regards - Walter

wafest42

Monday, July 11, 2016 8:18 PM
  • Hi Walter,

After trying above tips, please feel free to come back to tell us the result, which can help us troubleshoot what causes this issue.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 1:32 AM
  • Sorry, Weiwei,

after reinstalling Visual Studio I got the same error;

trying to open the project using the *.vbproj file I also got this error.

so, I keep on searching - I'd feel strange if I just ignored the error message?

Best regards - Walter

wafest42

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 8:29 AM
  • Hi Walter,

Do you have tried create a new default project and whether the new project also has this issue?

If just the specific project has this issue, please share a sample project to OneDrive and share a public link here, I will download it and try in my side to check what happened in your project.

If new project also has this issue, please use http://aka.ms/vscollect  to gather the VS and .Net Frameowrk installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to Onedrive and share the link here. 

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 9:30 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

I had no problems creating a new project - (other than those caused by the updated/new Visual Studio Version.)

Opening the old project (Visual Basic Express 2010), I also got error codes:

BC30002
    BC30590
    BC30456

Maybe they give an indication of what is wrong in my new installalation?

Thanks again for your support.

Best regards - Walter

wafest42

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 10:01 AM
  • Hi Walter,

Since create a new project has no problem, this issue should be related to your project itself, not related to Visual Studio installation. There may be some problem when upgrade from VS2010 to VS2015.

According to the error code, these errors are related to can't find event, something not define, is it right? Please check the project references when opened in VS2015, whether any reference don't be recognized in VS2015. If yes, please try re-reference them again.

And please check whether there has any packages/extensions installed in your project is not supported by VS2015. Please confirm these packages/extensions are supported by VS2015.

If the problem still exist, please create a new project and move the original project files to the new project one by one. Please backup the original project before doing this operation.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 1:12 AM
  • Thanks, Weiwei, for you comments.

I just can't believe it could be so difficult to upgrade a VS2010 project to the VS2015 Version. ( I mean thousands of programmers would have had similar problems) Maybe something went wrong during the installation of VS2015. I will uninstall VS2015, reinstall it and try it again. Wish me luck.

Best regards - Walter

wafest42

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 7:30 AM
  • Well, that did not work either - so I am at odds as to what to do now?

Take care - Walter

wafest42

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 11:57 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

I will post a new question in the forum

Thanks for your support - Walter

wafest42

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 1:56 PM
  • Hi wafest42,

Thanks for your post.

If you upgrade Visual Studio, you might also be upgrading the .NET Framework version. You can modify the value of the <TargetFrameworkVersion> element directly in the .vbproj file like this:

<TargetFrameworkVersion>v4.6.1</TargetFrameworkVersion>

Also please try to create a new VB project in your VS2010. Then try to open it in your VS2015 and check whether it has the same problem.

If it you can open the new created VB project in your VS2015. I think the cause of your problem is probably in your Visual Basic Application itself.

In this case, to avoid this kind of compatible issue. One idea I suggest you could create a new VB project in your VS2015 directly and copy the code from your old VB project into the new created project and build it.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Thursday, July 14, 2016 7:25 AM
  • Thanks for your thought, Lake Xiao.

This is getting pretty complicated for a novice like me!

Maybe I should uninstall VS2015 and install VS 2013 on the new Win10 Computer?

I can see copying the code from the old VB Project into a new VB 2015 project, but how would I copy the old Form?

Thanks again

Take care - Walter

wafest42

Thursday, July 14, 2016 3:00 PM
  • Hi Walter,

>>Maybe I should uninstall VS2015 and install VS 2013 on the new Win10 Computer?

I am not sure whether your VB project was compatible with VS2013. You could try to install the VS2013 and try to open the VB project in VS2013.

>>I can see copying the code from the old VB Project into a new VB 2015 project, but how would I copy the old Form?

Generally when you copy the codes into the Form.vb. After build the project. The form will achieve the corresponding function.

In addition, if your project was not too large. I suggest you'd better re-develop it in VS2015 directly.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Friday, July 15, 2016 1:28 AM
  • Hi wafest42,

Since you have post a new question in the forum, I help you merge this thread to the new thread which can let other communities to know this original issue which is benefit to others understanding this issue.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, July 15, 2016 7:14 AM