Master pages and AJAX - problem RRS feed

• Question

• User1935059134 posted

I have the following problem.

I have a master page. Now what I want to do is to load Content page using callbacks. However I don't think it is even possible :( When I click a button or menu in master page I want to load different page (which is using the same master page ofcourse), but I want to do this without postbacks. How can I achieve that ?

Sunday, November 19, 2006 10:21 AM

Answers

• User1212688708 posted

Hi Rolek,

As far as i know is Ajax used to support partialrendering on a single aspx page. When you open a new page it isn't possible to do that without a full postback. On some sites it looks like that when you click on a menu link that it opens a new page, but to me it seems that these sites working with the multi-view control inside an updatepanel. this gives you the idea that you are redirected to another page, but the only thing that happend is that the multiview control shows another view (without postback).

Kind regards,

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, November 20, 2006 5:19 AM

All replies

• User1001868398 posted
    Add the button inside an UpdatePanel that simple in AJAX got to http://ajax.asp.net to see how its done
    Sunday, November 19, 2006 10:43 AM
  • User1935059134 posted
    But the button has to do Response.Redirect or Server.Transfer to another page. Not the same page.
    Monday, November 20, 2006 1:59 AM
  • User742871871 posted

Hello,

it´s an interesting Question  - I´ve also tried to insert a Menu into an UpdatePanel hoping that there occur no reload of the Elements of my Masterpage - of course without succes [:|]. See http://www.codegod.de/ - The Links "Home, Search, My Content, ..." seemed to Load different aspx-Sites and reload the Content-Pages only!  How to implement this?

Marcel

Monday, November 20, 2006 3:26 AM
  • User1212688708 posted

Hi Rolek,

As far as i know is Ajax used to support partialrendering on a single aspx page. When you open a new page it isn't possible to do that without a full postback. On some sites it looks like that when you click on a menu link that it opens a new page, but to me it seems that these sites working with the multi-view control inside an updatepanel. this gives you the idea that you are redirected to another page, but the only thing that happend is that the multiview control shows another view (without postback).

Kind regards,

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, November 20, 2006 5:19 AM
  • User1935059134 posted

I did this already :) but I wanna something else :)

Now I will stick to this solution.

Thx all for replying

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 9:41 AM
  • User216680051 posted

Rolek, did you make the multi view get the same effect as you wish with the master page calling back only the content? It worked, but you are looking for something else because with multi view will not get all the functionalities that you made for your site, or it didn’t worked at all?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

I starting to do this refreshing only the content from a div tag, but it have to implement each event in your application; it’s a lot of work.

Saturday, April 28, 2007 7:38 AM
  • User-1581830319 posted
    I think it's impossible, And I think you can use the <iframe> tag in html as an alternative.
    Monday, April 30, 2007 12:11 AM
  • User-1581830319 posted
    We've all embraced Ajax as a revolutionary technology, but many of us forget (or are not aware) of asynchronous posts in the times before XmlHttp requests. Our good old friend the IFrame used to be the preferred option for asynchronous http communications. Because an iframe is in essence it's own browser window, it can be used to fire off asynchronous requests (both POST and GET). However, even more important is an IFrame's ability to be a 'target' of a form POST. By adding an IFrame to the page and setting it as the target of the form post, you can in essence do this!
    Monday, April 30, 2007 1:07 AM