Is it neccessary to install all previous versions of VS, SQL Server management RRS feed

• Question

• User584139459 posted

Hi all,

Currently I have VS 10, VS 13 & VS 15 and SQL Server 2008 R2 and SQL Server 2014 with management studios installed on my system.

I am thinking to update my system from 32 bit to 64 bit, for this I will need to clean install the OS.

So I want to know that is it really necessary to install previous versions of VS and SQL Server or only latest versions would be sufficient?

Thanks,
    Sophia

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 6:31 PM

Answers

• User-286291038 posted

Yeah thats true. You may have to "juggle" around a bit to get multiple versions running simultaneously. Maybe uninstall the latest and install the lower version if unable to install the lower version when the higher one is installed. But bottom line is, as per these posts, it is possible to have multiple versions of VS and SQL sever running in the same machine.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, April 28, 2016 3:33 AM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi,

Here are more information, it will be helpful for you:

You can install Visual Studio on a computer that already has an earlier version installed. Before you install versions side by side, review the following conditions, see: Installing Visual Studio Versions Side-by-Side

SQL Server supports multiple instances of the Database Engine, Analysis Services, and Reporting Services on the same computer. You can also upgrade earlier versions of SQL Server, or install SQL Server on a computer where earlier SQL Server versions are already installed. See: Work with Multiple Versions and Instances of SQL Server

have a good day.

Angie

Friday, May 6, 2016 9:13 AM

All replies

• User-286291038 posted

Hi Sophia,

The latest versions should be sufficient unless you are supporting some application which specifically requires the older version to run on top of.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 6:38 PM
  • User584139459 posted

Hi Natraj,

Thanks for replying.
    Will it be possible to install lower version of VS and SQL Server (with management studio) over latest version at later stage if found that some projects are not supported in latest versions?

Regards,
    Sophia

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 7:07 PM
  • User584139459 posted

Hi,

Thanks for the links but none of them seem to prove that lower version can be installed over higher version.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 7:44 PM
  • User-286291038 posted

Yeah thats true. You may have to "juggle" around a bit to get multiple versions running simultaneously. Maybe uninstall the latest and install the lower version if unable to install the lower version when the higher one is installed. But bottom line is, as per these posts, it is possible to have multiple versions of VS and SQL sever running in the same machine.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 3:33 AM
  • User584139459 posted

Hi Natraj,

Maybe uninstall the latest and install the lower version if unable to install the lower version when the higher one is installed

I know about that if that does not work then will need to uninstall higher version.

it is possible to have multiple versions of VS and SQL sever running in the same machine.

true, it is what I already have on my system, VS 10, 13 & 15 and SQL Server 2008 R2 & 14

Anyways, I will install current higher versions and just 1 below version of that. I think those should be sufficient.

Thanks,
    Sophia

Thursday, April 28, 2016 3:39 PM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi,

Here are more information, it will be helpful for you:

You can install Visual Studio on a computer that already has an earlier version installed. Before you install versions side by side, review the following conditions, see: Installing Visual Studio Versions Side-by-Side

SQL Server supports multiple instances of the Database Engine, Analysis Services, and Reporting Services on the same computer. You can also upgrade earlier versions of SQL Server, or install SQL Server on a computer where earlier SQL Server versions are already installed. See: Work with Multiple Versions and Instances of SQL Server

have a good day.

Angie

Friday, May 6, 2016 9:13 AM