Can't open VS 2013 via devenv.exe RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a question. There is no response(no startup windows) when i click the VS 2013 option in the win8.1. Now I have no any idea. I have been tried multiple ways to reslove and it still not work.

1. Unstall/repair the vs 2013, Reinstall.

2. type cmd devenv /ResetSettings.

BTW, i can open the vs 2012. Any idea? Thanks.

True mastery of any skill takes a lifetime.

Thursday, May 28, 2015 8:50 AM

Answers

• @Simon,

Something from your logs:

ExecuteError:The failed package ({53d408db-eb91-43fb-9d8f-167681c19763}) is not in the planned list.

Please try run this tool https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/program_install_and_uninstall to see if it can fix this issue.

The above package is the Visual Studio 2013 Update 4 package which is listed in your Control Panel/Installed Updates with the name KB2829760

If the above tool does not help try refer to this blog to fix. Please note that if you are trying to modify your registry you need to back up the registry first.

May I ask when you installed this Update 4? Have you got any error when trying to install it?

Best regards,

Barry
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by lxd_DD Wednesday, June 3, 2015 6:55 AM
    Tuesday, June 2, 2015 7:25 AM

All replies

• If you have more than one version of visual studio installed on your windows 8.1 OS, the one which is listed first will be opened, if you want you can select the other version to open.

i have 3 versions installed on my PC, 2010, 2012 & 2013, i can open 3 of them by typing devenv and select the verion manually.

Thanks & Regards
    Syed Amjad Sr. Silverlight/WPF Developer,
    yahoo : syedamjad6736@yahoo.com, skype : syedamjad.0786.
    Please use Marked as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Thursday, May 28, 2015 3:58 PM
  • thanks for your reply.

I found the new issue when i reboot the machine in the blow screenshort:

Open the VS 2013 there is nothing and the windows was disappear. It still same problem.

• Edited by lxd_DD Friday, May 29, 2015 3:27 AM add pic
    Friday, May 29, 2015 3:26 AM
  • Thanks for Syed Amjad's help.

Hi Li,

If you run it in safe mode with command line:

devenv /SafeMode

How about the result? Generally we could know that whether it is related to the add-ins.

Please also install the VS2013 update 4.

Since you install different versions in the same machine, please also make sure that your system has the enough configurations.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, May 29, 2015 7:15 AM
  • Hi Jack,

Unfortunately, I've been running the command line devenv /SafeMode and it seems like the windows flashed...No response.

BTW, now i used the VS2013 update4 ENV.

Maybe i need to uninstall VS2012/2013 and just only reinstall VS2013. I think i'll be climbing the wall. Do i have reinstall OS...god...

Friday, May 29, 2015 7:32 AM
  • @Simon Li,

May I ask this question, have you ever opened Visual Studio 2013 successfully before?

Visual Studio 2012 and Visual Studio 2013 are side by side so you don't need to remove VS2012. I suspect this is the first time for you to install Visual Studio 2013 and meet this problem. Then it is a Visual Studio Setup issue.

To know more details, I need your full logs, please use the following tool: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/heaths/archive/2009/05/20/collect.aspx

and collect full logs(vslogs.cab file under %temp% folder) to me.

You may also need to verify your installer(ISO) by refer to the following page:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/visual-studio-2013-iso-sha1-vs

Best regards,

Barry

Friday, May 29, 2015 9:09 AM
  • Yes, i had opened it that had been good before. Maybe because of improper operation(i.e. delete some setup file and miss file etc.)...i can't remember now.

Next, I will try this as you said, which collect full logs to send you later.

Thanks, if i have any update i will reponse you.

Friday, May 29, 2015 9:51 AM
  • Hi Simon,

if you have deleted some of the setup files by mistake, then i will suggest you ro repair your visual studio.

Thanks & Regards
    Syed Amjad Sr. Silverlight/WPF Developer,
    yahoo : syedamjad6736@yahoo.com, skype : syedamjad.0786.
    Please use Marked as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Friday, May 29, 2015 1:49 PM
  • Hi Barry,

As you said, I've been get the full logs, you can refer to the below link:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7D8F37AE3BD3D205!126135&authkey=!ACa181skTJ5ouOs&ithint=file%2ccab

thanks for your assistance.

Monday, June 1, 2015 7:45 AM
  • Thanks Syed. I tried. But it still not work.

Monday, June 1, 2015 8:01 AM
  • @Simon,

Since you can open VS before, your issue is not related to the installation of Visual Studio. I checked your logs and saw nothing based on your log, which is reasonable because setup do not have problem.

I will recommend you do the following:

1. Download a new copy of ISO and use it to repair. I saw that you've delete some setup files. I don't know where you removed them but those files on your OS are the package related to your VS, they should be kept in order to fix VS issue.

2. Use devenv /resetuserdata command. Maybe it can recreate some info for you.

3. Please create a new user account and see if you can open Visual Studio from that account. Please also use devenv /log to create a Activity.xml file which may contains package loading info. I need to know which pacakge failed to load.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241272.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best regards,

Barry

Monday, June 1, 2015 8:20 AM
  • Hi Barry,

I tried. But the problem is still there. However, i found an error when i uninstall VS in the Programs. Now I'm not able to uninstall it. Please see the screenshort:

Here is a error log file:

http://1drv.ms/1daWaPe

• Edited by lxd_DD Tuesday, June 2, 2015 2:41 AM
    Tuesday, June 2, 2015 2:38 AM
  • @Simon,

Something from your logs:

ExecuteError:The failed package ({53d408db-eb91-43fb-9d8f-167681c19763}) is not in the planned list.

Please try run this tool https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/program_install_and_uninstall to see if it can fix this issue.

The above package is the Visual Studio 2013 Update 4 package which is listed in your Control Panel/Installed Updates with the name KB2829760

If the above tool does not help try refer to this blog to fix. Please note that if you are trying to modify your registry you need to back up the registry first.

May I ask when you installed this Update 4? Have you got any error when trying to install it?

Best regards,

Barry

• Marked as answer by lxd_DD Wednesday, June 3, 2015 6:55 AM
    Tuesday, June 2, 2015 7:25 AM
  • Hi Barry,

Unfortunately, I've been reinstalled my OS that it works. I think your step is right for this issue. It's worth to try. But i really don't want to toss around.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 6:55 AM