What's the trade-off between using ASP.NET and using HTML5/JavaScript with a REST server backend? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all;

This may become obvious once I can create and run sample apps both ways. But at present I'm waiting on help from Microsoft to get either running and so am left asking questions.

Is there a significant advantage creating a task pane app using HTML5/JavaScript, talking to a REST/JSON based web service. Versus writing an ASP.NET (or MVC) web app?

I ask because there are very sophisticated controls available for ASP.NET and MVC while HTML5/JavaScript controls are pretty limited of the ones I've found.

??? - thanks - dave

Who will win The Windward International Collegiate Programming Championships?

Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Dave,

For the HTML5/javascript +REST service approach, not only Office 2013 apps, but also traditional ASP.NET webform or MVC web apps tend to add more support on that. One reason is it gives more rich client experience without frequent postback (refreshing entire page). All the UI elements can be constructed at client-side via JS and CSS dynamically. And RESTful service with JSON data is naturally designed for javascript client which makes data exchange and communication with HTML5/javascript client very conveniently. Also, you can find that HTML5 + javascript based programming model is introduced by Microsoft in many application development scenarios including ASP.NET web application, Windows Store application, Office 2013 apps, and also windows phone app (via webbrowser control support). So far the limtation of existing 3rd party/commercial controls does be a problem comparing to the traditional webform or MVC programming model, but I think HTML5 specific UI packages and suite will become more and more popular as it is not only Microsoft/ASP.NET specfic, but also works for various web programming plaforms.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Proposed as answer by Quist Zhang Tuesday, June 4, 2013 9:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by DavidThielen Tuesday, June 4, 2013 2:41 PM
    Monday, June 3, 2013 3:50 AM

All replies

• Hi Dave,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I'm trying to involve some senior engineers into this issue and it will take some time. Your patience will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for any inconvenience and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, May 31, 2013 9:15 AM
  • Hi Dave,

For the HTML5/javascript +REST service approach, not only Office 2013 apps, but also traditional ASP.NET webform or MVC web apps tend to add more support on that. One reason is it gives more rich client experience without frequent postback (refreshing entire page). All the UI elements can be constructed at client-side via JS and CSS dynamically. And RESTful service with JSON data is naturally designed for javascript client which makes data exchange and communication with HTML5/javascript client very conveniently. Also, you can find that HTML5 + javascript based programming model is introduced by Microsoft in many application development scenarios including ASP.NET web application, Windows Store application, Office 2013 apps, and also windows phone app (via webbrowser control support). So far the limtation of existing 3rd party/commercial controls does be a problem comparing to the traditional webform or MVC programming model, but I think HTML5 specific UI packages and suite will become more and more popular as it is not only Microsoft/ASP.NET specfic, but also works for various web programming plaforms.

• Proposed as answer by Quist Zhang Tuesday, June 4, 2013 9:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by DavidThielen Tuesday, June 4, 2013 2:41 PM
    Monday, June 3, 2013 3:50 AM
  • Hi;

I think you nailed it in that JavaScript is the future, but what we need may not exist today.

And we have to work with what exists today.

thanks - dave

Who will win The Windward International Collegiate Programming Championships?

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 2:42 PM