none
Error while installing NET framework 3.5 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have this problem at the beginning of Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition installation (from the Visual Studio dvd) that I have seen many people have found but as I have tried all the solutions previously posted and still with same problem I think maybe this problem requires a different solution and so a new thread, sorry if its not needed, if so please delete it.

I have tried uninstalling framework 2 and using registry tool to clear any incidences of the net frameworks and visual studio 2008 also used the cleanup tool posted here before that uninstalls all the net frameworks previously installed and still I find the same problem. Also I downloaded the full installation of net framework 3.5 to only install this but still it keeps crashing.

Here is the content of one of the 2 temp files created to report the error, I hope its ok to post it here as I have seen it other times, if not please excuse me, I'm sending only the final part as I assume is the only needed but if you consider so I'll upload it to a server

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated, many thanks in advance

edit> I downloaded this 3.5 full version http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/0/f/60fc5854-3cb8-4892-b6db-bd4f42510f28/dotnetfx35.exe 

PS sorry I forgot to say that I'm running win xp professional sp2 and in the log file it says the system has the requirements to continue installing

Code Block

[01/04/08,00:29:29] Setup.exe: AddGlobalCustomProperty
    [01/04/08,00:29:29] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5: ***ERRORLOG EVENT*** : Error code 1603 for this component means "Errore irreversibile durante l'installazione.
    "
    [01/04/08,00:29:29] Setup.exe: AddGlobalCustomProperty
    [01/04/08,00:29:29] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5: ***ERRORLOG EVENT*** : Setup Failed on component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
    [01/04/08,00:29:29] Setup.exe: GetGlobalCustomProperty - Property: {BBE1827C-F2FD-4FDA-A6D6-C83B62FFFDCA} - PropertyName: compfailed - Value: 0
    [01/04/08,00:29:29] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5: CBaseComponent::LaunchWatson() - Obtained CSetupWatson instance
    [01/04/08,00:29:30] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5: ISetupManager::GetGlobalCustomProperty() failed to find global prop in CBaseComponent::GetGlobalCustomProperty()
    [01/04/08,00:29:30] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5: ISetupManager::GetGlobalCustomProperty() failed to find global prop in CBaseComponent::GetGlobalCustomProperty()
    [01/04/08,00:29:30] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5: CBaseComponent::LaunchWatson() - Creating a PreReq Watson report with manifest: C:\DOCUME~1\ASD-MA~1\IMPOST~1\Temp\MAN90.tmp

Friday, January 4, 2008 1:59 AM

Answers

• Thanks a lot. The event viewer information was really helpful.

Here is the error:

System.ApplicationException: ServiceModelReg.exe has detected a possible corruption in the IIS metabase that prevents the registration of the ServiceModel IIS scriptmaps. Please either fix the IIS metabase corruption, or, if you do not desire ServiceModel WebHost funtionality, disable the IISAdmin service and reregister ServiceModel.

It seems IIS is corrupted on your machine.

Your options in this case are to re-install IIS or just uninstall it (if you do not desire Webhost functionality) before installing .Net Framework.

Please see the following for more details:

http://blogs.msdn.com/markgabarra/archive/2006/09/20/763904.aspx

Also, note that if you decide to install IIS again after installing framework you could run Servicemodelreg.exe /r /x and WFServicesreg.exe /c (The tool can be found under %windir%\Microsoft .Net\Framework\v3.0\Windows Communication Foundation and %windir%\Microsoft .Net\Framework\v3.5 respectively. Note: It will be under Framework64 for 64-bit m/cs) to configure IIS for webhost functionality.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if there are further concerns with this approach or if this doesn't fix the issue.

Thanks,

Kanchan

Friday, January 4, 2008 4:13 PM

All replies

• Can you please follow the instructions at:

What to do when you go to post a setup and deployment issue on the MSDN forums?
    http://blogs.msdn.com/aaronru/archive/2007/12/10/what-to-do-when-you-go-to-post-a-setup-and-deployment-issue-on-the-msdn-forums.aspx

It will help us investigate this further.
    Friday, January 4, 2008 3:37 AM
  •  

Oh I'm sorry I didn't know about those steps, so here they are:

1 I'm trying to install net framework 3.5 from the Visual Studio 2008 express edition dvd (my main goal is to install visual c++ 2008 express edition but I have found that the trouble is here so I spot this "net framework issue" as the real trouble) also tried the full redistributable I quoted before
    2 I got the dvd from the visual studio 2008 page http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/#webInstall (downloaded the iso and burnt it) and the redistributable net framework from previously mentioned link http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/0/f/60fc5854-3cb8-4892-b6db-bd4f42510f28/dotnetfx35.exe 

3 This is not beta version

4 I think I have none of the frameworks installed since I unistalled all and then run the cleanup application but I'm not sure since it keeps crashing on this step, also on registry it seems there is no clue of them there but again I'm not sure

The log files are contained in this file, I did it following the steps and I have seen many files added there I have to say that I have been fighting with this for many days now so maybe there is info that does not correspond to the actual status of the machine...

http://www.file-upload.net/download-591821/vslogs.cab.html

And I'm not running on vista but with win xp professional sp2, I think this as other facts should be in the log files, well if there is anything else that I can do please let me know
    Friday, January 4, 2008 4:48 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks a lot for sharing the logs. From the logs it looks like your installation is failing for .Net 3.0 SP1. Can you please check if there are log files named dd_wcf*.* in your %temp% folder. If yes, can you please upload them too? If not, can you please check if there are any errors/warnings in the eventviewer during the install?

Regards,

Kanchan 

Friday, January 4, 2008 5:09 AM
  •  

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the quick and helpful replies, there is no dd_wcf*.* files in temp directory but there are some dd_*.txt mostly dd_Net_Framework2*.txt and dd_Net_Framework3*.txt shall I upload any of those?

Additionally I have seen in the event viewer in system subtree that it generates 2 errors while installing, with origin in disk it say something about block damaged in \Device\Harddisk0\D. additionally there are more data as you know so if you need more of that I can submit if you tell me what and how should I submit it.

Also in event viewer, in the application subtree there are 12 error generated in the process the first two look like this

System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'System.ServiceModel.Install.IisHelper' threw an exception. ---> System.ApplicationException: ServiceModelReg.exe has detected a possible corruption in the IIS metabase that prevents the registration of the ServiceModel IIS scriptmaps. Please either fix the IIS metabase corruption, or, if you do not desire ServiceModel WebHost funtionality, disable the IISAdmin service and reregister ServiceModel. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800703E7): Error while loading page

The others are all different but somehow similar refering to error while installing the frameworks different versions, all of those 10 have origin in msintaller, if you want to know more about them let me know what info are you needing from those and I will copy/upload the needed data.

Edit>

I just noticed that it says after the error messages in an information message that has same origin in msinstaler

Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 1 -- Installation failed.

Don't know if this could help you spot the problem

Friday, January 4, 2008 3:57 PM
  • Thanks a lot. The event viewer information was really helpful.

Here is the error:

System.ApplicationException: ServiceModelReg.exe has detected a possible corruption in the IIS metabase that prevents the registration of the ServiceModel IIS scriptmaps. Please either fix the IIS metabase corruption, or, if you do not desire ServiceModel WebHost funtionality, disable the IISAdmin service and reregister ServiceModel.

It seems IIS is corrupted on your machine.

Your options in this case are to re-install IIS or just uninstall it (if you do not desire Webhost functionality) before installing .Net Framework.

Please see the following for more details:

http://blogs.msdn.com/markgabarra/archive/2006/09/20/763904.aspx

Also, note that if you decide to install IIS again after installing framework you could run Servicemodelreg.exe /r /x and WFServicesreg.exe /c (The tool can be found under %windir%\Microsoft .Net\Framework\v3.0\Windows Communication Foundation and %windir%\Microsoft .Net\Framework\v3.5 respectively. Note: It will be under Framework64 for 64-bit m/cs) to configure IIS for webhost functionality.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if there are further concerns with this approach or if this doesn't fix the issue.

Thanks,

Kanchan

Friday, January 4, 2008 4:13 PM
  • Thanks a lot for the idea, it seems that you are right spotting the IIS is wrong here, but unfortunatelly it seems that it can't be uninstalled, I run the uninstall process from "add/remove application" and then from "add/remove windows components" and in the middle of the process it says the operation can't be performed and closes itself.

I'm not using the IIS right now and I'm not needing it in the near future, and just in case, I run all this procedures with everything else closed to avoid any interferences, so maybe is there a cleanup tool for IIS too? sorry to ask for that but the ways I have normally tried to remove it just failed in the middle and left it there, and I don't want to access the registry without the knowledge and before asking since I know I could damage the whole windows installation.

Friday, January 4, 2008 5:27 PM
  • I am sorry you are hitting all these issues.

Regarding IIS as far as I know there is no cleanup tool. But I am not an expert in IIS so I may not have all the information.

You might want to try the following:

1. Try uninstallling IIS in safe mode

2. Post about IIS uninstall issue at http://forums.iis.net/. You will have better chances of catching the right audience on this forum. Also if you can post the logs of your iis installation and the exact error code/message it (here and on the above mentioned forum) will be helpful.

Regards,

Kanchan

Friday, January 4, 2008 7:22 PM
  •  

Don't worry, I know computer science isn't really a perfect science, so if it can fail then for sure it will fail at least once, but thank you very much for your concern and all the help.

So I have tried to remove the IIS in every single way I could think of, and finally I tried removing every single element of IIS one by one, and finally managed to remove all its components but the one called "shared files" remains, so it was that one that was causing the trouble in removing the IIS, but again, its not 100% removed, so after rebooting I tried once again to install through the VC++ 2008 Express Edition installer and this time it hasn't crashed yet (usually crashed after 5 minutes), but giving me a bad feeling since it has been in around 50% of the net framework 3.5 install process for 2 hours or even more, so even though I don't want to cancel the install process now that it isn't crashing by itself... shall I click on cancel button now? I assume the net framework 3.5 install shouldn't take more than an hour or so but just guessing it basing myself on its size around 197mb and all that it installs (previous versions etc), not sure.

I haven't yet tried removing the rest of IIS in safe mode since I was expecting this to crash before I try that.

Edit> I have noticed that it hasn't generated any error or warnings in the event viewer but after 3 hours at the same 50% I assume it went wrong somewhere, not cancelling it yet though

Saturday, January 5, 2008 1:51 AM
  • You might want to check on the log files (dd_*.* in %temp% folder) to check on the status of the installation. 3 hours for .Net 3.5 install does sound fishy to me. 

Saturday, January 5, 2008 2:53 AM
  • True, its time to stop it I think, the log file I checked is huge and keeps on saying the same thing like in a infinite loop, I extracted part of it, I don't know if that could help spot the issue at any point

MSI (s) (80:84) [23:26:12:109]: Note: 1: 2262 2: AppId 3: -2147287038
    MSI (s) (80:84) [23:26:12:109]: Note: 1: 2262 2: NGenExecCfg 3: -2147287038
    MSI (s) (80:84) [23:26:12:109]: Note: 1: 2262 2: AssemblyPrivate 3: -2147287038
    MSI (s) (80:84) [23:26:12:109]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Class 3: -2147287038
    MSI (s) (80:84) [23:26:12:109]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Icon 3: -2147287038
    MSI (s) (80:84) [23:26:12:109]: Note: 1: 2262 2: ProgId 3: -2147287038
    MSI (s) (80:84) [23:26:12:109]: Note: 1: 2262 2: CompLocator 3: -2147287038
    MSI (s) (80:84) [23:26:12:109]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Complus 3: -2147287038
    MSI (s) (80:84) [23:26:12:109]: Note: 1: 2262 2: CreateFolder 3: -2147287038
    MSI (s) (80:84) [23:26:12:109]: Note: 1: 2262 2: DrLocator 3: -2147287038
    MSI (s) (80:84) [23:26:12:109]: Note: 1: 2262 2: DuplicateFile 3: -2147287038
    MSI (s) (80:84) [23:26:12:109]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Environment 3: -2147287038
    MSI (s) (80:84) [23:26:12:109]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Error 3: -2147287038
    MSI (s) (80:84) [23:26:12:109]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Extension 3: -2147287038
    MSI (s) (80:84) [23:26:12:109]: Note: 1: 2262 2: MIME 3: -2147287038

Edit> after cancelling it clicking on "Cancel" button it just stuck there, I think it crashed badly but the window is still alive, I don't want to kill the process since maybe that would left everything even more corrupted than it is right now but... just in case, how much time should I wait before killing the process?

Edit2> I killed the process after about an hour of waiting for it to close itself, I think tomorrow I'll try and see your other ideas, will tell once I manage any result out of them

Saturday, January 5, 2008 3:02 AM
  • You might want to use the cleanup tool for Framework before attempting another install. Do let me know how it goes.

You could also try to work around IIS uninstall issue by disabling IIS Admin service (which might be sufficient for installing Framework without webhost functionality). 

Saturday, January 5, 2008 6:11 AM
  •  

I have just used the cleanup tool for net framework again running without trouble as always, there is no aparent signal of the framework previous installations on the system as far as I can see.

About disabling the IIS admin, I don't know it it should be done that way, I used "net stop iisadmin" when it looked like impossible to remove from system, again it didn't work and IIS uninstall process failed, and I think I had the admin disabled in at least one of the several attempts of installing the net framework, will retry stopping the admin on purpose just before install process begins

But just now I don't know what are the best steps I should try to follow, I mean after using the cleanup tool for framework, should I go on and continue retrying to remove the IIS before I try to install the framwork again?

Saturday, January 5, 2008 2:45 PM
  • You might want to post on the IIS forum I mentioned above regarding the IIS uninstall issues,

Saturday, January 5, 2008 6:07 PM
  •  

Finally!! it finally worked!! I can't tell which of the several ideas you gave me worked the magic but finally worked, among last things I have tried are trying to uninstall IIS from secure mode and again failed and also in normal mode which of course failed again, both with admin stopped and then... I think after those trial and error I retried installing it again, I think with IIS admin still running but I can't be 100% sure, I mean I know spotting the problem and the most accurate solutions could help improve the whole thing as well as others solve their troubles while installing so I wish I could tell the exact way it finally installed.

Again  I have to thank you very much for all the support and helpfull ideas that you gave me, without that I wouldn't have successfully installed this, I wish I could pay you for all the time and effort you spent into these issues, really thanks a lot!!.

Saturday, January 5, 2008 11:46 PM
  • I am glad you could install framework successfully. Thanks a lot for your patience.

Hope you enjoy using it!

Regards,

Kanchan

Sunday, January 6, 2008 4:44 AM
  • Thank you, and in fact you helped me not only to install the Net Framework 3.5 but also the whole Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition so it was a great success.
    Wish you the best of lucks in your work

Regards,

Humberto

Sunday, January 6, 2008 12:58 PM
  • Good Afternoon,

Don't have a solution for your question but have experienced a similar situation.  While asking others to install netframework 3.5 (for a VB program), the file downloads and then states it is installing.  They are connected into the Internet, yet the installation does not complete after 35 minutes on several attempts, .. have to shut down computer. 

The older .exe (VB 6) maybe a another way to have something run w/o installation problems or try the cleanup tools listed in your post.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 7:44 PM
  • Hi,

I have similar problem with installing Visual Studio 2008 Express.
    During the isntallation there was a problem with .NET Framework 3.
    I downloaded newest version dotnetfx3.exe (52 MB) from Microsoft site.
    When I tried to install it there was an error:

Code Snippet

[03/02/08,14:08:09] Windows Communication Foundation: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Windows Communication Foundation. MSI returned error code 1603
    [03/02/08,14:08:17] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Windows Communication Foundation is not installed.

You can download my vslogs
    My current .Net Framework version probably is 2.0.50727.1433 (I don't know how to check this correctly).
    On list of installed programs I have:
    Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1
    Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB928366)
    Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1 Polish language Pack
    Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0

I'm workin on Windows XP Home Edition SP2

I searched almost half of the internet without solution of my problem.
    Please help me find out a way.

Thank you
    Daniel
    -------------------------------------------
    Done.
    I found solution. I uninstalled all versions of .NET by cleanup tool. After that, on .NET FREE system, Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition was installed without any error.
    Thanks for help
    Sunday, March 2, 2008 3:22 PM
  • Hi,

First download the entire .Net Framework 3.5 redistributable package into your system through the following link and try to install with that.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/0/f/60fc5854-3cb8-4892-b6db-bd4f42510f28/dotnetfx35.exe

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 5:42 AM
  • This can be an issue with the permission with the ServiceModel 3.0.0.0 registry key. Find the below link for more details http://codekeep.net/ASPNET/code/snippets/16827/Unable-to-install-NET-Framework-30-35-VS2008-Solution/view.aspx
    Friday, November 6, 2009 5:32 AM
  • This can be an issue with the permission with the ServiceModel 3.0.0.0 registry key. Find the below link for more details

http://codekeep.net/ASPNET/code/snippets/16827/Unable-to-install-NET-Framework-30-35-VS2008-Solution/view.aspx

Friday, November 6, 2009 5:37 AM