Is it what is called progress???????? RRS feed

• Question

• I don't know how about you, but I am seeing a new forum's look right now and I don't know how to describe my feelings.

We had an interface that was Ok to work with. The interface is completely redesigned, there is no way to see questions in the forum normal way, I have to use drop downs to access stuff I need to access (so double clicks), I see some weird labels such as 'Inquirer' or 'Top Answerer', etc.

In my opinion, give me back the old interface with all its bugs. I don't want this new one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It makes my work with the forums 100 times harder than it used to be.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:14 PM

Answers

• I have a lot of complaints so far, but the first one is that it is much harder for me to moderate, or even follow the forums I frequent. I almost need to open every thread. I am bound to miss some replies and fail to answer questions because I can't tell what is new. It took me awhile to figure out how to "open" a forum. And the "My Forums" list does not indicate which has new activity.

Heck, I can't even tell which threads I've already addressed. My memory is not that good. Do I need to keep a manual list of threads and the number of replies?

I edited my reply and found that a reason at least 4 characters long is now required.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

• Edited by Richard MuellerMVP Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:36 AM Added last sentence
    • Marked as answer by Naomi N Thursday, June 20, 2013 2:50 PM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:33 AM

All replies

• I'm with you, Naomi. I was posting at the same time you were, so we basically cross-posted. The old forums, bad as they were, were far superior to this garbage. BTW, I saw that you noticed the "Top answerers." Did you also notice the number of answers for the top? 144! In my forum, we're lucky to get that many new threads in 30 days! So, there is precisely zero chance in hell that we will ever see our names in that list. Also, where's your avatar? How about your identity? How do you like that little ID area don there in the lower-right corner.

Phsaw! A pox upon them! Give us back the old forums, NOW!

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:26 PM
  • I'm hoping that the rollout isn't complete. Considering the fact that one of the supposed benefits of the redesign was better use of screen real estate, I'm very unhappy with the results. The forums (all TechNet branded forums at least) spanned my entire page width before, now I've got about an inch and a half of dead whitespace on both sides.

Also, I don't like the fact that the poster's name is now tiny and stuck off at the bottom right. I miss seeing my usercard in the upper right as well.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:08 AM
  • I'm hoping that the rollout isn't complete. Considering the fact that one of the supposed benefits of the redesign was better use of screen real estate, I'm very unhappy with the results. The forums (all TechNet branded forums at least) spanned my entire page width before, now I've got about an inch and a half of dead whitespace on both sides.

Also, I don't like the fact that the poster's name is now tiny and stuck off at the bottom right. I miss seeing my usercard in the upper right as well.

Unfortunately, that's part of the design.  The new design has all pages in that (roughly 1000 pixel) narrow width.  The only good thing in terms of screen space is being able to collapse the bar on the left, which helps a bit, but there is no longer any full width pages :(

Reed Copsey, Jr. - http://reedcopsey.com
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:13 AM
  • Unfortunately, that's part of the design.  The new design has all pages in that (roughly 1000 pixel) narrow width.  The only good thing in terms of screen space is being able to collapse the bar on the left, which helps a bit, but there is no longer any full width pages :(

Unfortunate. Hopefully an official feedback thread is started at some point.

This reminds me of Digg v4.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:17 AM

• Unfortunate. Hopefully an official feedback thread is started at some point.

This reminds me of Digg v4.

There's an entire feedback forum :)  http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=forumsredesign

Please put your feedback there - I think we need to get everybody to chime in on the sticky points, so hopefully we can get some change pushed through..

Reed Copsey, Jr. - http://reedcopsey.com
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:23 AM
  • Yeah, that's where I'm watching. I'm hoping that an actual Microsoft employee starts a thread so suggestions can be put into one place instead of plenty of us starting up individual threads.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:28 AM
  • I have a lot of complaints so far, but the first one is that it is much harder for me to moderate, or even follow the forums I frequent. I almost need to open every thread. I am bound to miss some replies and fail to answer questions because I can't tell what is new. It took me awhile to figure out how to "open" a forum. And the "My Forums" list does not indicate which has new activity.

Heck, I can't even tell which threads I've already addressed. My memory is not that good. Do I need to keep a manual list of threads and the number of replies?

I edited my reply and found that a reason at least 4 characters long is now required.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

• Edited by Richard MuellerMVP Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:36 AM Added last sentence
    • Marked as answer by Naomi N Thursday, June 20, 2013 2:50 PM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:33 AM
  • Oh my, this is laughably horrendous.  What in the world is happening at Microsoft?
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:39 AM
  • now I've got about an inch and a half of dead whitespace on both sides.

Use  No CSS.   E.g. in IE press Alt-V y N

Then you won't see the margin problem, tiny fonts, and your avatars will all be on the left.   <eg>

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:51 AM
  • Changes.... you may like it sometimes, and sometimes you don't but the newer interface is very convenient as you will get used to it. I really like the new interface of the forum, I hope we all get it pretty handy sooner :)
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:58 AM
  • *sigh* we can't do something as simple as see who last responded to a thread without opening it.

Thanks! Josh

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:23 AM