none
Windows XP v.s. XPE in terms of speed RRS feed

• Question

• I have a few units of pc which is having a same spec. I build a "Full XP Pro like" XPE for one of the pc, then install a XP Pro on another same pc.

When I run a software on both pc, I found that Windows XP Pro is faster than the one on XP Embedded. Is this the expected scene? IF yes, can anyone expert explain to me why XP Pro is faster than XPE? Or any article to support this saying?

Thanks in advanced!

Regards,

Kenny 

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 4:01 AM

All replies

• Can you define faster? Is the application a native application or managed code?

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:11 AM
  • What Sean asked...

Also I'm sure you're aware of this already but the hardware may be the cause of the difference in speed. Even if the hardware is exactly the same one machine will not always run as smoothly or as quick as another machine. I've had exact machines boot right next to each other and one will take 5-10 secs longer to completely load the OS than the other.

"Learning without thought is labor lost; Thought without learning is perilous." Confucius
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 2:34 PM
  • One more question: is the XPE image licensed or is this an evaluation version? The evaluation version has been known to have something running in the background that takes up memory.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 4:11 PM
  • Ok, let me describe the situation for you guys.

The PC is actually use to work with a machine tester, a production machine.

During compare session, the application which is running on xpe has about 300 milliseconds delayed for each production compare with xp pro.

FYI, the application running is a native application, and the XPE is licensed version.

-Kenny- 

Thursday, October 6, 2011 4:31 AM
  • Ok so this specific computer ran faster with XP Pro installed than it does now that it has XPe on it? And just to clarify is this Windows XP Embedded or Windows Embedded Standard 2009? The difference is that Windows XP Embedded is based on XP SP2, and Windows Embedded Standard 2009 is based on XP SP3. So if the computer was running XP Pro SP3 before when it was running quicker and you installed XPe (SP2), it may be a Service pack thing.

My suggestion is that you compare the running processes on the XP Pro machine, if you still have one, and this XPe one to see if there are any extra processes running that you don't need, or hogging resources.

There are many other things that could be causing this problem, such as drivers or older versions of programs.

"Learning without thought is labor lost; Thought without learning is perilous." Confucius
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 2:50 PM
  • In my opinion, there are many reasons can lead to this phenomena. 

I thinks the "Full XP Pro like" XPE is not the same as the XP PRO. there are many different default settings between XPE and XPP.   Such as Internet protocols installing, the power control management . You can compare two OS in some settings options.  

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:12 AM