none
Objective: Customised Document Generation using Word templates. RRS feed

• Question

• Objective: Customised Document Generation using Word templates.

For my website I have a requirement to prompt the customer to select a document type/template (from a list). Depending on the document type selected, the user will be prompted for certain information in a questionnaire (e.g. Text, Date, jpeg, boolean etc). The answers to the questions will determine the content within the document to be generated. For example, a Text field will be inserted into a content placeholder (like a mail merge) and if possible a boolean answer will determine if a paragraph/section/sentence is included or omitted.

I have seen a couple websites (e.g. lawlive) that allow for this but I do not know what technology to use to achieve it. A product like Active Docs looks to do something similar to what I need but I would be interested to hear what other options may be available.
    The simpler the better of course.

Note: Another possible option would be to provide the user with an excel spreadsheet and get them to fill in details and click a document generation button on the ribbon. Not sure if this would allow for the above data types and customisations however...

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Friday, June 15, 2012 1:49 AM

Answers

• The best option to handcraft your custom solution is to use Open XML SDK or commercial Word object model libraries like Aspose.Word or Syncfusion DocIO. Any of these libraries you can use to build a reporting/document generation solution which can involve quite a lot of work.

Since you have a very common problem of data-driven document generation I would recommend you to take a look at Docentric toolkit. I don't know Acive Docs and I cannot compare aginst it but I it is a good and flexible MS Word generation tool/library with an outstanding UI experience and requires very little code to implement document generation.

Friday, June 15, 2012 8:01 AM