Powerpivot with Excel 2013 SQL 2008 R2 and SharePoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

A colleague of mine is trying to run reports which he has created in Excel 2013.

Previously for Excel 2010, since it did not have the powerpivot functionality embedded within, it relied on the powerpivot add-on for Sharepoint 2010 in order to render the reports in Excel viewer / Excel 2010.

However when my colleague tried to run a report that he built using Excel 2013 on SharePoint 2010 which already has a powerpivot add-on, it was giving him an error "Unable to refresh data for a data connection in the workbook. try again or contact your system administrator. the following connections failed to refresh" when viewing it in Excel viewer 2010. I have checked the usual:

1. Powerpivot for Sharepoint with SQL 2008 Analysis services add-on is running as a service in the WFE and it has been started when I look in central administration

2. Claims to Windows Token service is started

3. Performed an IIS reset, not happening

4. Checked the account that is being used to access the Powerpivot service and claims to windows token and they are accurate

5. Checked if the SQL server and WFE are on the same Domain controller and they are.

I am wondering if there is a compatibilty issue somewhere, due to which it is not working?

My colleague says(quote from email): "We have an Excel 2013 workbook with a PowerPivot connection to an sql 2008 r2 data source (Dynamics CRM 2011). The workbook and the data connection work fine when in Excel. However we get the data connection error when we post this workbook to a PowerPivot gallery in Sharepoint 2010. Excel Services seems to be configured properly (we can confirm the settings are the same as in one of our production environment Excel libraries that currently have Excel workbooks connected to an OLAP data source – not sure if PowerPivot libraries require different configuration).

One of the questions I have is whether Excel 2013 w/ PowerPivot will work with SharePoint 2010/SQL 2008 r2 or, if this needs to be on a newer version of Sharepoint/SQL."

He thought it best to get this question asked in advance as they are planning for a reporting project and want know the can-do's and can't-dos in advance or the possibilities when working with different versions or compatibility.

I would be thankful if you would please reply at the earliest on this.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Reema

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 11:24 PM

Answers