none
Visual Studio 2017 .NET Core on MAC with ORM Designer. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I know on a windows machine using Entity Framework v6 it has a great visual tool to create a Model Design.  Does anyone know of a process to do this on a MAC.  I got so spoiled by this tool and do not want to have to create all the classes by hand.

Ideally would like the tool to target regular Entity Framework and Entity Framework Core.

Thanks in Advance and sorry if someone has already asked this.

Steve

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 6:11 PM

All replies

• Hi smoro1,

According to your question is more related to EF, I will move it to ADO.NET Entity Framework and LINQ to Entities forum for suitable support.

The CLR Forum discuss and ask questions about .NET Framework Base Classes (BCL) such as Collections, I/O, Regigistry, Globalization, Reflection. Also discuss all the other Microsoft libraries that are built on or extend the .NET Framework, including Managed Extensibility Framework (MEF), Charting Controls, CardSpace, Windows Identity Foundation (WIF), Point of Sale (POS), Transactions. 

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 3, 2017 10:07 AM
  • Hi smoro1,

>> I got so spoiled by this tool and do not want to have to create all the classes by hand.

you could scaffold a DbContext and entity types via Scaffold-DbContext when you use ef core.

SYNTAX
        Scaffold-DbContext [-Connection] <String> [-Provider] <String> [-OutputDir <String>] [-Context <String>] [-Schemas <String[]>] [-Tables <String[]>] [-DataAnnotations] [-Force] [-Environment <String>] [-Project <String>] [-StartupProject <String>]
        [<CommonParameters>]

PARAMETERS
        -Connection <String>
            The connection string to the database.

-Provider <String>
            The provider to use. (E.g. Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.SqlServer)

-OutputDir <String>
            The directory to put files in. Paths are relaive to the project directory.

-Context <String>
            The name of the DbContext to generate.

-Schemas <String[]>
            The schemas of tables to generate entity types for.

-Tables <String[]>
            The tables to generate entity types for.

-DataAnnotations [<SwitchParameter>]
            Use attributes to configure the model (where possible). If omitted, only the fluent API is used.

-Force [<SwitchParameter>]
            Overwrite existing files.

-Environment <String>
            The environment to use. Defaults to "Development".

-Project <String>
            The project to use.

-StartupProject <String>
            The startup project to use. Defaults to the solution's startup project.

For more information, please refer to:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/ef/core/miscellaneous/cli/powershell

Best regards,

Cole

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 4, 2017 7:36 AM