none
Export Settings Error Failed to export settings for '#2015' [code 7371]

Question

• I'm getting the following 2 errors when I export my VS 2015 Community settings (all settings) on my Windows 8.1 system.  Any idea what this means?

Thx.  Steve

Your settings were exported, but there were some errors.

Error 1:  Failed to export settings for '#2015' [code 7371]
    Error 2:  Failed to export settings for '#2001' [code 7371]

Friday, June 17, 2016 12:58 PM

Answers

• Hi @Cincy Steve and @KeithPGR,

1.When you open the VS, please run it as administrator.

2.Then you could choose to export part of the following settings, to check if it is one or some settings that lead to this error.

3. When you store your settings file directory, please choose the publish location such as Drive D or Desktop instead of the private place.

If the above still doesn't help, since you both have met the same issue, I suggest that you could submit this feedback to Microsoft Connect feedback portal: http://connect.microsoft.com, Microsoft engineers will evaluate them.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Cincy Steve Thursday, June 23, 2016 12:31 PM
    Wednesday, June 22, 2016 8:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Steve ,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

For this issue, please try reset userdata command:

1.Click Start and run or type "run" in search box of Start menu

2.Then double click the run and you should type cmd and open command prompt.

3.Then copy and paste the below command in command prompt -> Click Enter .

%programfiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /resetuserdata

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, June 20, 2016 10:07 AM
  • Lana -

Before I try that, I'd like to know if that will erase my current settings.  It has taken me quite awhile to discover the settings I want and I'm not confident I will remember how to reset them again without a great deal of time and effort (Visual Studio's settings are obviously very powerful and therefore complex to navigate).

Thanks.  Steve

Monday, June 20, 2016 1:38 PM
  • Hi Steve,

the devenv/resetuserdata command will reset all your current settings. if you use this command, you had better back up all the VS settings.

Best Regards,

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 10:04 AM
  • Lana -

Your suggestion creates a Catch 22 dilemma.  I posted my question initially because the error messages I got while exporting my settings made me think some of the settings were not being saved.  I therefore don't know how to confidently "back up all the VS settings" as you suggest before doing the reset you suggest.  Can you tell me what the 2 "failure to export" messages I got mean?  That is, did something not get exported and, if so, what?

Thanks.  Steve

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 4:56 PM
  • I'm having the same problem. I just fully uninstalled VS2015 and clean installed it to fix another issue with settings.

However, now when I try to export my settings, it says:
    Error 1:  Failed to export settings for '#2015' [code 7371]

There seems to be a LOT of issues regarding settings with 2015 that I never experienced with 2005, 2008, 2010, or 2013.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 5:10 PM
  • Hi @Cincy Steve and @KeithPGR,

1.When you open the VS, please run it as administrator.

2.Then you could choose to export part of the following settings, to check if it is one or some settings that lead to this error.

3. When you store your settings file directory, please choose the publish location such as Drive D or Desktop instead of the private place.

If the above still doesn't help, since you both have met the same issue, I suggest that you could submit this feedback to Microsoft Connect feedback portal: http://connect.microsoft.com, Microsoft engineers will evaluate them.

• Marked as answer by Cincy Steve Thursday, June 23, 2016 12:31 PM
    Wednesday, June 22, 2016 8:09 AM
  • Lana -

I was able to successfully save all settings without any error messages using your suggested approach.

Thank you for the help.

Steve

Thursday, June 23, 2016 12:31 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Glad to hear you have had your issue resolved. And thanks for sharing us your result here.

Have a nice day:)

Best Regards,

Friday, June 24, 2016 1:13 AM
  • I actually managed to finally fix the issue on my own.  I had to fully uninstall and clean install. After it finished, I had /resetuserdata or whatever to actually reset some of my settings.

What I believe the problem was, is that I changed my default Settings/Template/Code directories before to be the same as my VS2010 ones. I think it was conflicting with the settings file from 2010, even though it wasn't having a problem in 2010 and it would only occur if I started up TWO instances of 2015. The second instance of 2015 would just hang forever on "loading settings" and then I'd eventually have to crash it, which would reset my color scheme, etc.

After clean-installing 2015 again, and THEN resetting my settings, it's working now.

p.s. Your survey link doesn't work:
    Try searching for what you need
    This page doesn’t exist.

• Edited by KeithPGR Friday, June 24, 2016 12:29 PM
    Friday, June 24, 2016 12:25 PM