Color Chooser For Touch UI

Question

• My users will need to be able to choose colors for elements in my data display. There apparently is no standard Metro ChooseColor dialog so I need to create one. The problem I have with most of the designs I've seen on the web so far are that they use simple RGB or HSL/HSV sliders. These are difficult to use with touch if you want to have any sort of precision when positioning the slider pointer (fingertips are huge in terms of pixels). The pointer can jump around, etc. and a inadvertent tap can move the pointer a large distance. In addition, the slider would need to be large to accomodate a wide range of values. Not good.

What I want to do is sort of "invert" the slider concept. Instead of moving a pointer along a fixed axis, I want to fix the pointer and have users move the "data" underneath it. The data in this case would be H, S, and L. Optimally, the H would be a "roller" that is continuous across 360°. S and L would be straight linear from a minimum to maximum. Only a small portion of the full range of each value would be visible at any given time, so this would allow me to use high precision ranges without taking up a large amount of screen space.

What Metro control would be best to use as a basis for implementing this design?

Thanks

Friday, September 28, 2012 3:27 PM

All replies

• I think you need to create a UserControl with other controls for to have the functionality you want. is not easy create a control for color picker. Maybe you need to see ohteryou tried 3rd party?

You can see the Fresh Paint application, they a color picker very interesting.

Sara Silva

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 2:44 PM
  • Which language are you using? How to implement this will be different depending on the UI toolkit you are using.

--Rob

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 3:41 AM
    Owner