none
Hyper-v problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, i have a problem with hyper-v on compaq 615 (exact model NX568EA). Server 2008 R2 is running with no problems, except when i added hyper-v role, rebooted and it started giving the "hypervisor not running" error. I have both virtualization and hardware DEP enabled in BIOS, drivers are all there, i have set hypervisorlaunchtype to AUTO and hardware DEP to ALWAYS ON in BCDEDIT, did more than a few clean installs, but still, hypervisor wont run.

Two errors that appear in the hyper-v event log are 26 and 14098. Hardware is compatible with hyper-v, ive checked with SECURABLE and AMD Hyper-V SYSTEM COMPATIBILITY CHECK. Also vmware is running x64 guest machines with no problem. It's a new notebook and i haven't got any problems except for this, and so far iv'e tried pretty much everything that i have found on various forums,manuals,hyper-v documentation and so on. 

Any help much appreciated.  

(I do need this for MCP certification so i will put it under learning, but someone please relocate it to appropriate category if im wrong)

EDIT: Event 26 : Hyper-V launch failed; the hypervisor boot loader's internal logic failed. (status 0x3).
             Event 14098: One or more driver required by the Virtual Machine Management service is not installed or is disabled. Try reinstalling the Hyper-V role.
    • Edited by Sinisa Marjanovic Monday, February 15, 2010 9:52 PM Addendum
    • Moved by Mr. Wharty Friday, February 10, 2012 8:15 AM (From:Training and Certification)
    Monday, February 15, 2010 9:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Have you checked device manager ? does it reports any missing drivers ?

Looks like that the 14098 event is not a lie and Hyper-V (R2 I presume)
    is missing a device driver it needs to be able to start.

Likely suspects are a Chipset driver or a storage related driver

Rob.
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Wednesday, February 24, 2010 8:43 PM
    Monday, February 15, 2010 10:01 PM
  • My server has event ID 14098 as well.  What I had to do is enable virtual processing in the BIOS for my Intel Xeon processors and the error was gone.
    • Marked as answer by Mr. Wharty Friday, February 10, 2012 1:27 AM
    Friday, February 10, 2012 1:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you checked device manager ? does it reports any missing drivers ?

Looks like that the 14098 event is not a lie and Hyper-V (R2 I presume)
    is missing a device driver it needs to be able to start.

Likely suspects are a Chipset driver or a storage related driver

Rob.
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Wednesday, February 24, 2010 8:43 PM
    Monday, February 15, 2010 10:01 PM
  • Hi Rob , 
    i have checked device manager, it has all the drivers installed, actually all of them were installed during the server installation so they are Microsoft's drivers, except the video driver which was standard VGA , but ive downloaded and installed the catalyst driver since its ATI HD 3200. Ive to suspected the chipset but it has all the drivers in device manager so i assume its not it, plus there is no chipset driver package on Hp.com (vendor).

And yes, its R2... 
    Monday, February 15, 2010 10:15 PM
  • Hi vinjak,

i have the same problem. did you find a way in the meantime to fix it?

best regards

Saturday, May 8, 2010 6:29 PM
  • Hey uwesauso , 

I havent actualy, posted on few forums with no replys except for robs here, so no luck, moved to virtual server 2005 sp1 r2. 

Heres what i got thoe: i sat with a system engeniers guy from microsoft, specializes in servers and hyper-v, we spent 1 whole day with various bios settings, upgrades, clean installs, server 2008 and r2 editions, drivers for the notebook CPU, Bridge, GPU, and absolutly no progress. We used more than way to confirm that Hardware DEP and AMD-V were up and running (those to must be supported and active for hyper-v to function) and we just basicly got to confirm it had everything needed to run hyper-v but it just did not. We always got Event 26 and Event 14098. 

Called people at HP as well, and they told me that the current drivers did not guarantee support for server 2008 all together so that they couldn't help me.

I hope that this helps at least a bit, sorry for such a late reply, but i gave up this thread long time ago. Please reply if u manage to fix it. Thanx.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 1:10 AM
  • Thank you vinjak,

i couldnt find a way either. i just installed win7 and virtual pc. but the performance is very poor compared to hyperv.

an other question: has anybody experience with vmware workstation 7.1? is it working on this notebook? and how is the performance?

Oh and sorry that it took so long for me to reply. But i was very busy with learning

Thursday, July 1, 2010 3:55 PM
  • Im learning too so i can relate :)

Now to the answer. VMWare workstation is great, i used it myself (it even runs aero), offers great performance, its flexible with hardware ( you can attach USB devices to it which i really like - from USB attached HDDs to webcams), but as far as i know you cant put machines on their own separate intranet, which is the reason i abandoned it for virtual server sp1 r2 in which you can manage as much intranets as you need. Drawbacks of VSSP1R2 is that you CANT attach USB ports, audio is a ____, no aero (if you need it at all) but it gives you great performance once you install vm additions.

So it basically comes down to what you want to do with VMs. For networking its VSSP1R2 and if you need standalone machines take VMware. 

Hope i helped.

Friday, July 2, 2010 8:05 PM
  • My server has event ID 14098 as well.  What I had to do is enable virtual processing in the BIOS for my Intel Xeon processors and the error was gone.
    • Marked as answer by Mr. Wharty Friday, February 10, 2012 1:27 AM
    Friday, February 10, 2012 1:10 AM