none
VS 2015 Professional very slow and becomes unresponsive

Question

• All of our development team are having poor performance and lag issues with VS 2015 Pro on Windows 10. Seems to have gotten worse after the latest RC update. This behavior happens randomly, sometimes completely locking up the program. Any suggestions would be useful.

Thanks.
    Eric

Monday, November 23, 2015 9:04 PM

Answers

• Hi Eric44444,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

For this issue, I suggest you could take the following steps to troubleshoot this issue:

(1) To make sure whether it is related to the installation, please go to Control Panel to repair your visual studio to see if it helps.

(2) To eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins or packages are causing problems. Please try to launch your visual studio in safe mode.

Please open Windows Explorer, and navigate to  <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE (by default is C:\Program Files or Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE), and run the following commands:

Devenv.exe /SafeMode

If in safe mode, this issue doesn't occur, I doubt that it is related to the add-ins, please go to Tools -> Add-in Manager to disable all the add-ins, and then go to Tools -> Extensions and Updates, to uninstall all the extensions.

(3) launch your windows in safe mode, it will exclude the third party softwares, such as anti-virus, are causing problems.

Besides, I listed some tips to improve the performance of visual studio, you can have a try to see if it helps:

Make sure you’re running the latest service pack for your operating system.

If you are experiencing slow performance when loading a solution

a. Try deleting the .suo file in your solution’s folder. Note that the .suo file is a hidden file.

b. If your solution contains any WinForms projects

i. Close the Windows Forms Designer before you close the solution (or Visual Studio)
    ii. Disable Toolbox automatic populatin using "Tools | Options | Windows Forms Designer"

Best Regards,

Jiayi Li

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 2:51 AM

All replies

• Hi Eric44444,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

For this issue, I suggest you could take the following steps to troubleshoot this issue:

(1) To make sure whether it is related to the installation, please go to Control Panel to repair your visual studio to see if it helps.

(2) To eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins or packages are causing problems. Please try to launch your visual studio in safe mode.

Please open Windows Explorer, and navigate to  <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE (by default is C:\Program Files or Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE), and run the following commands:

Devenv.exe /SafeMode

If in safe mode, this issue doesn't occur, I doubt that it is related to the add-ins, please go to Tools -> Add-in Manager to disable all the add-ins, and then go to Tools -> Extensions and Updates, to uninstall all the extensions.

(3) launch your windows in safe mode, it will exclude the third party softwares, such as anti-virus, are causing problems.

Besides, I listed some tips to improve the performance of visual studio, you can have a try to see if it helps:

Make sure you’re running the latest service pack for your operating system.

If you are experiencing slow performance when loading a solution

a. Try deleting the .suo file in your solution’s folder. Note that the .suo file is a hidden file.

b. If your solution contains any WinForms projects

i. Close the Windows Forms Designer before you close the solution (or Visual Studio)
    ii. Disable Toolbox automatic populatin using "Tools | Options | Windows Forms Designer"

Best Regards,

Jiayi Li

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 2:51 AM
  • Just a headsup.

I have a HP Spectre I7 laptop with SSD and run VS2015 professional. This has been running very smoothly since i bought this system in january 2016. after installing VS update 2 on 15 april 2016, it suddenly became horrifically slow. I could not even type code normally, so slow it became. Also after the termination of a debug session, VS became unresponsive for 20 seconds.

I carried out the repair as proposed above, and everything was fast again.

Thursday, April 21, 2016 8:18 AM