The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure DevTest Labs!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

Chaining Pipelines RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could please assist in pointing me in the right direction.

I am new to Azure (worked on TFS) and need some guidance please.

We have multiple projects each with their own release pipeline. However, we would like to create one release pipeline to deploy all the different projects. As the projects are mostly dependent on each other if one fails the whole release should roll back.

So my question is, is there a way to chain the pipelines to build one one after the other (similar to the image attached). I know you can kick off one build after another has completed, but this is specific with the release.

Also, the reason we have separate projects is because we would like to break them apart to be dealt with as modules instead of a big bang approach, but that is only in the pipeline for now (: sorry

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for you time. 
    Monday, July 22, 2019 12:24 PM

All replies

• Hello DevTrev,

Thanks for reaching out!

This sure seems like a distinct scenario. For chaining release pipelines like you've described above, I would suggest you to check out our official document on configuring Multi-stage CD Pipelines. Features like defining Pre-deployment conditions, Artifact filters, and configuring multiple artifacts are powerful options that you can leverage to fit your custom requirements.

As far as rolling back releases go, AFAIK, it is not provided as an out of the box feature in Azure DevOps. However, the simplest way to rollback would be to redeploy the last successful release. You might also be interested in knowing more about the Conditions that can be specified while defining the Pipeline yml file.

Here is a blog that explains a few options for implementing a rollback strategy.

Hope this helps!

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 5:50 PM
  • Thank you for the information. Truly appreciated.

Have a great day!
    Wednesday, July 24, 2019 5:28 AM
  • Glad I could help! :)

Let us know if there is anything else related to this thread that we can assist you with, else please feel free to mark and close this out if the above response addresses your query! Thanks again for reaching out!
    Wednesday, July 24, 2019 6:22 AM