Why does the textarea have a padding in ui-light.css?

Question

• I really don't get some of the styling rules defined in the provided default CSS files ui-dark and ui-light. Not only are they way to specific and therefore hard to override they sometimes define styles that do not make much sense to to.

For instance, why does the textareas have padding applied to them? Different ones on each side. Reason?

Thursday, May 29, 2014 1:31 PM

Answers

• Hi pkursawe,

Thanks for your suggestion and question, I can not explain why because it is design question. I will raise your question to senior engineers to see if they can provide some explanation.

However I would recommend you to raise suggestion at http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/category/41637-windows-8-apps

Thank you for supporting the Windows Store App dev forum.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, May 30, 2014 7:25 AM
  • Hi!

WinJS has an extensive documentation, even on the design choices they made. Most of them are well fundamented, although I'm not sure particulary about the textarea padding.

There is a special section devoted to Text Input. UI-light and UI-dark provide base styling, but you're not forced to use them, you can use your own stylesheet or even override the base settings provided by UI-light/dark with your own CSS to obtain your desired result.

I would recommend checking those 3 links (specially the last one).

Good luck!

Saturday, May 31, 2014 1:26 AM

All replies

• Hi pkursawe,

Thanks for your suggestion and question, I can not explain why because it is design question. I will raise your question to senior engineers to see if they can provide some explanation.

However I would recommend you to raise suggestion at http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/category/41637-windows-8-apps

Thank you for supporting the Windows Store App dev forum.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, May 30, 2014 7:25 AM
  • Hi!

WinJS has an extensive documentation, even on the design choices they made. Most of them are well fundamented, although I'm not sure particulary about the textarea padding.

There is a special section devoted to Text Input. UI-light and UI-dark provide base styling, but you're not forced to use them, you can use your own stylesheet or even override the base settings provided by UI-light/dark with your own CSS to obtain your desired result.

I would recommend checking those 3 links (specially the last one).

Good luck!

Saturday, May 31, 2014 1:26 AM