Windows CE 5.0 Windows mobile RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I am a litle confused.

What is the diffrents between CE 5.0 and Mobile 5.0?

I have a MFC application written to Pocket PC 2003, can I make a new project and compile it to Windows CE 5.0?

thanks in advance, Patrik

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 8:21 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You may also like to read my blog entry - "Is Windows Mobile 6 powered by Windows Embedded CE 6.0" available at http://www.christec.co.nz/blog/archives/18, as it discusses a similiar topic.

In general you should be able to recompile your Pocket PC application and get it running on a device using a "raw" Windows CE operating system with a few tweaks (to deal with differences such as standard Windows CE not typically making all dialogs to be full screen etc).

You may find in the process of porting your application that you have used Windows Mobile specific APIs etc which are not present on your Windows CE powered device. Obviously you will need to rework these sections of your project.

Hope this helps,

Christopher Fairbairn

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 11:52 PM

All replies

• See this.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 11:15 PM
  • Hi,

You may also like to read my blog entry - "Is Windows Mobile 6 powered by Windows Embedded CE 6.0" available at http://www.christec.co.nz/blog/archives/18, as it discusses a similiar topic.

In general you should be able to recompile your Pocket PC application and get it running on a device using a "raw" Windows CE operating system with a few tweaks (to deal with differences such as standard Windows CE not typically making all dialogs to be full screen etc).

You may find in the process of porting your application that you have used Windows Mobile specific APIs etc which are not present on your Windows CE powered device. Obviously you will need to rework these sections of your project.

Hope this helps,

Christopher Fairbairn

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 11:52 PM