none
Suddenly getting "Module not Found" errors in MS Access v2016 Office 365 Business RRS feed

• Question

• If this is not in the right forum please let me know or feel free to move it.

Hi all;

I am suddenly getting a Module not found errors. When I click ok the vba window pops up and all the code is there. This just started a couple hours ago. Does anyone know why this might suddenly be happening? It has happened with code that was running fine a few hours ago.

I had to have Microsoft support help me to re-install Office 365 last evening due to a different error that locked MS Access up requiring restart of the app in order to work.  Once the re-install was done I opened my db and all of my VBA code was gone so I am extremely nervous here.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Rob

• Moved by Steve Fan Thursday, March 30, 2017 6:52 AM
    Wednesday, March 29, 2017 1:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I'll move this question to a more appropriate forum:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=accessdev

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 6:52 AM
  • A reinstall of Office does not remove VBA code.

This is of course a good time to be very deliberate with your steps, take notes (OneNote comes to mind), and have plenty of backups including off your computer.

I would decompile a copy of the database. Then shift-load the database (so AutoExec macro does not run), open VBA window and check Tools > References for broken ones. Also Debug > Compile. Of course you already have Option Explicit in each module per best practices.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Thursday, March 30, 2017 1:48 PM
  • For anyone following and to avoid doubling up, Robert has a thread also going on Answers, see: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_access-msoffice_custom/suddenly-getting-module-not-found-errors/c4be88c9-0510-4826-97af-9c4c4a64ebda

This way everyone is aware of what has been suggested already.

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2016 Microsoft MVP
    Professional Support: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

Thursday, March 30, 2017 2:16 PM
  • In addition to the advice given to you by Tom and Daniel, if this is a multi-user database, ensure that you are using a split database approach, with the data in a separate shared file on the network and the user interface on each user's local computer, linked to the data file on the server.

I've seen this issue at one location- where the code project would corrupt and completely disappear in a particular database.  This database resided on a shared drive, and it's purpose was to update/replace the Front End of another database on the users' computers. When updates were pushed, the "install.mdb" file would typically get used by many users at the same time.  This scenario worked for years, but (possibly coincidentally) stopped working with Access 2016.  I'm about 90% certain that the disappearing code was linked to the Install.accdb file getting used by many users simultaneously, as the problem seems to have been resolved by changing the update process to copy and run the install file from users' individual computers instead of from the network location.

Another issue that I have seen definitely cause this problem is developers prematurely exiting dialog boxes and/or the database while digitally signing a project. 

Miriam Bizup Access MVP

• Edited by mbizup MVP Friday, March 31, 2017 11:39 AM
    Friday, March 31, 2017 11:38 AM