none
How to install smart basic 1.0 on Windows 7 SP1 so that all users have access to it RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I know the question has been asked before and answered that you install using

msiexec /jm c:\path\smallbasic.msi but when I try that I get the following error message

You do not have sufficient permission to complete the re-advertisement of this product.

I am installing using an administrator account.

Friday, August 10, 2012 8:54 PM

Answers

• According to MS, this error is because:

"The process calling MsiAdvertiseScript must be running under the LocalSystem account.
    Available beginning with Windows Installer 5.0 for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2."

The LocalSystem account is some sort of high privilege account that you don't usually have access to apart from within some applications or services like installers etc and apparently msiexec with the /jm switch.

The /jm switch is obviously asking to do the advertisement to all users.

Perhaps start the CMD window with "Run as Administrator" before doing the msiexec /jm command.  An administrator account still has reduced privileges compared to those when you "Run as Administrator".

On the point of installing SB for all users, I have no problem with all users on my Windows 7 SP1, installing it by just running the msi installer normally without msiexec.

Saturday, August 11, 2012 2:42 PM

All replies

• Never heard of this one, but try right clicking on the XXX.msi file and selecting "Run As Administrator".
    Friday, August 10, 2012 9:44 PM
  • According to MS, this error is because:

"The process calling MsiAdvertiseScript must be running under the LocalSystem account.
    Available beginning with Windows Installer 5.0 for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2."

The LocalSystem account is some sort of high privilege account that you don't usually have access to apart from within some applications or services like installers etc and apparently msiexec with the /jm switch.

The /jm switch is obviously asking to do the advertisement to all users.

Perhaps start the CMD window with "Run as Administrator" before doing the msiexec /jm command.  An administrator account still has reduced privileges compared to those when you "Run as Administrator".

On the point of installing SB for all users, I have no problem with all users on my Windows 7 SP1, installing it by just running the msi installer normally without msiexec.

Saturday, August 11, 2012 2:42 PM
  • That wouldn't work as it needs switches & has to be run from a cmd prompt.
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 5:10 PM