db comparison of two different sql servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hello 

Recently I  have migrated the DB from version 2008 to 2017.

I am asked to compare the objects exists between source and target.

I have downloaded the sql server comparison tool from net.  and I am able to connect Source  but not able to connect the target due to error as below

"sql server comparison tool error access denied or server does not exist "

Please suggest what level of access I required to get the target to connected

Thanks

SUpersent

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 2:19 PM

Answers

• I don't understand waht and why you want to compare here. If the Migration was done by backup&restore, then you got an exact 1:1 copy of the source database.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Marked as answer by supersent Monday, August 19, 2019 7:22 AM
    Thursday, May 23, 2019 6:15 AM

All replies

• Hi SUpersent,

It seems that you are using a third-party tool. About what level of access you required to get the target to connected, you will have to ask the vendor of the sql server comparison tool. I'm afraid it might be the administrator account.

The error message indicates that the machine that is running SQL Server cannot be contacted or you have entered the wrong server name or the account you used cannot connect to the SQL Server instance. Please check it out.

Best Regards,
    Puzzle
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, May 23, 2019 2:00 AM
  • I don't understand waht and why you want to compare here. If the Migration was done by backup&restore, then you got an exact 1:1 copy of the source database.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Marked as answer by supersent Monday, August 19, 2019 7:22 AM
    Thursday, May 23, 2019 6:15 AM