Refreshing GAC with all that is there... RRS feed

• Question

• Okay,

I"m not sure what caused this but I need the "easy" fix (if there is one). 

Basically there are several Assemblies (DLLS) that are linked into a  few of my applications that are no longer visible in the AddReferences dialog.  I don't know why they aren't visible, but they aren't.  I have installed full .net 3.51 framework, Windows SDK 6.0a, Windows Mobile 6 SDK, VIsual Studio 2008 SDK, and Visual Studio 2008, SQL Server, and MSDN library.  However these DLLS are not visible in the Add references dialog:

Microsoft.VisualStudio.
       Designer
       Shell.Interop
       Shell.Interop.8.0

etc.  They all seem to be the Extensibility assemblies, which are present in the C:\Windows\assembly\GAC folder, but not visible in the references screen (either for VS2008 or Refractor). 

Ideas?  What Installs these?  Are they Supposed to be VIsible?  Is there a way to tell the GAC to refresh itself based upon what is ACTUALLY in the GAC folder?

Thanks
    Jaeden "Sifo Dyas" al'Raec Ruiner
    "Never Trust a computer. Your brain is smarter than any micro-chip."
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 1:59 PM

All replies

• This isn't really anything to do with the GAC because that's not what Visual Studio uses for the referenced assemblies.
    This might help:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/306149 

Phil Wilson
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 10:32 PM
  • I've looked at that, but that seems more of a way to link in one's own assemblies into the Add References dialog box.  So if I were to create an assembly, and link it into the GAC, I should also add it's location into that registry link so that the Add References dialog woudl recognize it.  But it seems only to reference custom assemblies.  The assemblies I listed above are installed by Visual Studio into the GAC.  the only place they exist is in C:\Windows\assembly\GAC\, and \GAC_MSIL\. 

Those directories are already listed in that registry key location, are you suggesting I add those directories again more specifically under the MyAssemblies Key?

Thanks
    J"SD"a'RR

Sunday, October 4, 2009 2:30 AM
  • What are the exact name of the assemblies?
    I guess you've installed VS SDK,right?
    If you mean Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop, I would suggest you to repair installation of the VS SDK.

Thanks.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, October 5, 2009 7:03 AM
  • Would you recommend closing down Visual Studio before I try this?
    J"SD"a'RR
    Monday, October 5, 2009 2:26 PM
  • If it doesn't bother much, yes.

But you must close the reference dialog, of course.

Thanks.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 2:43 AM