none
Workflow Emailed hyperlinks removed

    Question

  • Just noticed that hyperlinks (UNC or URLs) from a comment field (Rich text) sent by emails via a SPD workflow have stopped working.

    I believe this changed after upgrading to SPF2013 from SPF2010. Other links in the email which have html formatting are fine but we also copy the content of the Comment field into the email and now the link(s) are removed, just the text is displayed. I tested Outlook by emailing the same link URL/UNC and both work fine. When I go the the list and view the history of the Comment field they are clickable links there.

    So that leaves me to assume its the SPD workflow, any suggestions on what may have changed?


    Stunpals - Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

    Thursday, January 19, 2017 6:09 PM

All replies

  • Did some testing with another user and my account on a different computer and it appears to be only select staff's Outlook that is affected.

    But as I mentioned if emailed a hyperlink directly from Outlook the link is fine. Maybe I need to reset Outlook on the affected computers?


    Stunpals - Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

    Thursday, January 19, 2017 6:35 PM
  • Hi Stunpals,

    According to your description, there are hyperlinks (UNC or URLs) in a multiple text column, and you create a workflow to send an email with this column, but the hyperlinks displayed as text in the email.

    I test in my environment, it works well.

    In the comment filed, check whether you add text before the hyperlink, if yes, delete the text and try again:

    Try to repair Outlook, follow the steps below:

    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Repair-an-Office-application-7821d4b6-7c1d-4205-aa0e-a6b40c5bb88b?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

    Best regards,

    Grace Wang


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

    • Proposed as answer by Victoria XiaModerator Tuesday, January 31, 2017 10:33 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Stunpals Tuesday, January 31, 2017 4:36 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 8:05 AM
  • Thanks for your suggestion but preceding the URL with text and a repair of Office had no change.

    Stunpals - Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

    Tuesday, January 31, 2017 4:37 PM
  • Hi Stunpals,

    Clear the SharePoint Designer Cache and create a new simple workflow, try again and check if the issue exists.

    Try to add the URL by using Edit hyperlink in “send an email” action, check if the hyperlink removed in the Outlook.

    Best regards,

    Grace Wang


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

    Monday, February 06, 2017 9:13 AM
  • Thanks Grace for the suggestion but maybe I wasn't clear in my previous post. This is only occurring for a few staff on select workstations. If those same staff open Outlook on a different computer (creating a new profile) then the URLs are fine. So this doesn't appear to be related to the SharePoint workflow but rather Outlook and the user profile.

    Stunpals - Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

    Wednesday, February 08, 2017 7:58 PM