What would be causing my obfuscated c# application to crash on just one computer? RRS feed

• Question

• I have two C# winforms applications that get obfuscated and released to clients. I have used the same method for obfuscation for several years now and it has worked great. Now I have one Windows 8.1 machine that refuses to run the obfuscated versions. I have tried running the same obfuscated version on Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, and other Windows 8.1 machines without any issues. I have tried running the un-obfuscated version on the "bad" machine and it works great. However, whenever I try to run the obfuscated version all I get is a message box saying "[Program Name] has stopped working." It is a CLR20r3 InvalidOperationException that occurs in mscorlib.dll. Why would this only happen on this one machine and how can I fix it?
    Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:24 PM

All replies

• Hello Warlord,

According to your description, it seems that the caused reason is the obfuscated process.

What API do you use to do the obfuscated process? Please provide a description.

Do you try to debug it as run the obfuscated application on the “bad” machine to check if it would crash diesctly or would stop at some specific method? I suggest you do that and this would help narrow this issue.

If you cannot install the Visual Studio to the “bad” machine, you could follow this blog to debug the WER in CLR using windbg:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oanapl/archive/2009/01/30/windows-error-reporting-wer-and-clr-integration.aspx

With it, you should be able to at least figure out where it was thrown in your code, and work from there.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 6:43 AM
  • I will try the debugging steps you mentioned. I just don't understand how it could be the obfuscation process if the obfuscated code works on all other machines besides this one and has worked for 2 years now. I even installed an earlier version of the software that has been used out in the field with no issues before on the "bad" machine and that doesn't even work.
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:11 PM
  • Hello Warlord,

I write this to check if you find the caused reason according to my provided debug steps or if you have found a solution for this issue, it is recommended to share your solutions & experience here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 8:32 AM
  • I have not found a solution yet. The issue is on a computer that I rarely have access to, so I haven't had a chance to run any more tests.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2014 2:14 PM
  • Hello Warlord,

Wish you lucky to find the cause reason once you have access to test that machine. And if with these debug stpes, it does not work, please feel free let me know.

Regards.

Thursday, November 27, 2014 9:22 AM