Does .NET offer a Virtual COM Port class or kit ? RRS feed

• Question

• I've heard rumors to the effect that Microsoft / .NET offers a Virtual COM Port as either a class or kit.

A sudden need for a virtual COM port has arisen and while I certainly could buy such a beast from Bob's Jams and Jellies and Virtual COM Port company and hope it comes close to doing what we need,  my experience with .NET is that if .NET offers something, it's GONNA work !

So, does anyone here have experience with a Microsoft / .NET   Virtual COM Port ?

Thursday, November 7, 2013 4:56 PM

Answers

• Here is one application which can do this job

http://com0com.sourceforge.net/

A.m.a.L Hashim
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
    My Blog - Dot Net Goodies

• Marked as answer by Caillen Monday, November 18, 2013 1:38 PM
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 5:08 PM
  • Indeed, Sir, that looks VERY MUCH like what I need.   Alas, my intent is to use this for commercial purposes and I fear that I'd run afoul of the licensing agreement on the last page of the associated document at SourceForge.

You are quite right, however, this IS what I'm looking for.  If such a beast exists within the .NET Framework then I hope to get something going that can be distributed freely.

Thank you for your suggestion, Sir.

Best wishes,

bill

Thursday, November 7, 2013 6:01 PM

All replies

• Here is one application which can do this job

http://com0com.sourceforge.net/

A.m.a.L Hashim
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
    My Blog - Dot Net Goodies

Thursday, November 7, 2013 5:08 PM
  • Indeed, Sir, that looks VERY MUCH like what I need.   Alas, my intent is to use this for commercial purposes and I fear that I'd run afoul of the licensing agreement on the last page of the associated document at SourceForge.

You are quite right, however, this IS what I'm looking for.  If such a beast exists within the .NET Framework then I hope to get something going that can be distributed freely.

Thank you for your suggestion, Sir.

Best wishes,

bill

Thursday, November 7, 2013 6:01 PM