none
Install Exchange server 2010 in Single forest Multiple AD domain Scenario RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Folks,

I am trying to install a new exchange 2010 server in an enviroment which never had exchange.

Below is the env details

1 Forest

3 AD domains

Coustmer's requirement is that he wants to install exchange in only domain and other domain will not have exchange server the domain A which has server install should host the exchange mailbox's for other 2 domains and also capable enough to handle the mailflow of each domain with diffrent SMTP domain. Have done research but havent got the exact scenario.

Now i am confused on how to start with this project any feedback inputs would be of great help to me.

BR/Deepak

Sunday, December 1, 2013 4:17 AM

All replies

• Exchange server is forest wide role, so it does not depend much on number of domains in the same forest. Usually, you install Exchange in forest root domain in your forest, and Exchange will host mailboxes from any user from entire forest. So, actually, your scenario is supported by default :). Just go and install Exchange in one domain. As soon as you prepare other domains for Exchange recipients, you will be able to create mailboxes from all domains in your forest.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Damir

• Proposed as answer by damirdMVP Sunday, December 1, 2013 7:36 PM
    Sunday, December 1, 2013 7:36 PM
  • Hi Damir,

I'm trying to setup a on_prem lab with the similar requirement. 

I need to setup a lab in on_prem with multiple domains. In future we will federated all these domains to single Office365 tenant. To achieve this requirement I request you to suggest me how to deploy my on_prem lab. 

I've have 3 domains @x.com, @y.com & @z.com. In on_prem do I need to install separate AD / Exchange for each domain. I'm confused here how to setup my lab. Because my concern is later for moving to cloud there is a concept of Dir_Sync which is interface of single AD and single Tenant. 

Please explain me how can I set up my on_prem lab. 
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:18 AM