installing Oracle database, Visual Studio, and ODAC RRS feed

• Question

• User-592976280 posted

I install Oracle Database 11.2.0.2.0 64bit and Oracle Client 32bit on a new laptop that runs Windows 7 64bit operating system. The reason I need Oracle Client 32bit instead of 64bit is because I think PL/SQL Developer version 8 32bit will only work with Oracle Client 32bit. It would be nice to be able to use Oracle Database 32bit as well, but I was told that it would not run on a 64bit operating system. Do I need to install anything else such as ODAC or the installation of Oracle Database already covers it?

I will also install Visual Studio 2010 on the laptop. If I have to install ODAC separately, I see these links from OTN and do not know which version I should download and install to be compatible with what I have. The links are: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/dotnet/utilsoft-086879.html and http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index-090165.html?msgid=3-4509163225

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 10:12 AM

Answers

• User269602965 posted

I installed the database first (11g 64-bit) on a static IP with MS Loopback adapter, Visual Studio 2010, 32-bit ODP.NET Client install in another Oracle Home, then TOAD and Oracle SQL Developer. 

I avoid Oracle Visual Studio tools, which I find too buggy to use, so I use SQL prompt, TOAD or SQL Developer, and Oracle database control to manage database objects.

All my apps config string use the TNSNAMES.ORA for the database, both 32-bit and 64-bit, and ODP.NET seems to figure out which client to use.

Each download of 32-bit ODP.NET contains the option for Database install (which is really an upgrade of ODP.NET) or Client install on setup installation configuration.

(Of course, if I want to upgrade ODP.NET for my database, I would use the 64-bit ODP,NET Database install to upgrade the files in database home and the 64-bit GAC.)

I usually stick with the version of ODP.NET that comes with the database version, instead of getting messed up with ODP.NET upgrades, etc.  Too many headaches for me.)

For selection of the correct version of ODAC, go find OracleDataAccess.dll in your database home odp.net folder, right click and get version number.

Oracle is better about making newer versions of ODAC retroactively compatible with prior versions.  However, to make my apps more portable, I put my version of ODAC directly into the application BIN folder and make a local reference for it.  I just seem to have less troubles moving to PRODUCTION doing it that way.

The main mistake folks make is installing more than one 32-bit client version on the same machine.

Uninstall the old one first if you are moving to newer version of ODP.NET and then do the CLIENT install.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/dotnet/utilsoft-086879.html

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, July 29, 2011 11:11 AM

All replies

• User269602965 posted

I have Oracle 11g 201 64-bit in one Oracle Home running on static IP using Microsoft Loopback Adapter as per Windows Install Guide Oracle.

I have Oracle 11g 201 32-bit client in another Oracle Home installed from the ODAC Client Install.

I have VS 2010 mixed 64 and 32 bit app development.

I have Oracle SQL Developer and TOAD running as 32-bit applications.

OS is WIndows 7 64-bit.

All is well.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 12:06 PM
  • User-592976280 posted

Did you install Oracle Database 11g 201 64-bit in ORACLE_HOME_1 (for example), and then install Oracle 11g 201 32-bit client in ORACLE_HOME_2 in that order? After that I guess you installed VS 2010?

Do you have URL for downloading the ODAC Client Install? I want to be sure I download the correct one.

Friday, July 29, 2011 10:02 AM
  • User269602965 posted

I installed the database first (11g 64-bit) on a static IP with MS Loopback adapter, Visual Studio 2010, 32-bit ODP.NET Client install in another Oracle Home, then TOAD and Oracle SQL Developer. 

I avoid Oracle Visual Studio tools, which I find too buggy to use, so I use SQL prompt, TOAD or SQL Developer, and Oracle database control to manage database objects.

All my apps config string use the TNSNAMES.ORA for the database, both 32-bit and 64-bit, and ODP.NET seems to figure out which client to use.

Each download of 32-bit ODP.NET contains the option for Database install (which is really an upgrade of ODP.NET) or Client install on setup installation configuration.

(Of course, if I want to upgrade ODP.NET for my database, I would use the 64-bit ODP,NET Database install to upgrade the files in database home and the 64-bit GAC.)

I usually stick with the version of ODP.NET that comes with the database version, instead of getting messed up with ODP.NET upgrades, etc.  Too many headaches for me.)

For selection of the correct version of ODAC, go find OracleDataAccess.dll in your database home odp.net folder, right click and get version number.

Oracle is better about making newer versions of ODAC retroactively compatible with prior versions.  However, to make my apps more portable, I put my version of ODAC directly into the application BIN folder and make a local reference for it.  I just seem to have less troubles moving to PRODUCTION doing it that way.

The main mistake folks make is installing more than one 32-bit client version on the same machine.

Uninstall the old one first if you are moving to newer version of ODP.NET and then do the CLIENT install.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/dotnet/utilsoft-086879.html

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, July 29, 2011 11:11 AM
  • User-592976280 posted

Thanks for the info. Did you install IIS and .Net Framework? What version of IIS? And what was the order of installation for them and Visual Studio 2010, Oracle database and client?

When you install IIS on Windows 7, did you check the entire Web Management Tools or just the IIS Management Console? If IIS 6 Management Compatibility is installed, does it mean IIS6 Management Console is installed? If yes, will there be a conflict if you have both IIS6 and IIS7.5  Management Console?

How come it doesn't create wwwroot folder after IIS is installed? That folder is needed to add a new website in IIS.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 5:59 PM
  • User269602965 posted

.NET framework all patches all versions

then

IIS 70 with IIS Mgt Console only

IIS70 creates default website in INET directory, which contains the default wwwroot.

But I create my own IISAPP directory for one or more web applications websites, create my own app pool(s), and disable default app pools and web sites.

The quirky thing is some web functions work in Visual Studio web environment and then fail in IIS hosted web environment,

so MS Technet helps with understanding IIS limitations.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 11:03 PM
  • User-592976280 posted

Windows Updates doesn't show any .NET Framework for me to install on Windows 7 operating system. How can the framework be installed when it's not shown? I remember on Windows XP, the Windows Updates automatically shows .NET Framework 2.0, 3.5, and 4.0 for me to select for installation.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:42 PM
  • User269602965 posted

Look in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework

and you should see all the installed versions of .NET 1, 1.1, 2.0, 4, 3.5, and v4.0.30319

I suspect you may have missed some updates with Windows 7 propensity suddenly announce update installs while you are shutting down..no warning. Dang Annoyance at times.

Also, manually run Windows Update from IE Tools Windows Update, and you be surprised what it finds.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 4:09 PM
  • User-592976280 posted

I see subfolders for 1, 1.1, 2.0, 3, 3.5 in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework folder. There is no v4.0. I run Windows Update from IE Tools Windows Update and see an optional update: "Miscrosoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile for Windows 7 x64-based Systems". Is that the v4.0.30319 you mentioned? Should I install that optional update?

It's strange that I don't see any framework when I View Update History.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 5:32 PM
  • User269602965 posted

I would go to Microsoft Downloads and get the .NET 4.0 installer, then run Windows update over and over until you have all the patches

http://www.microsoft.com/net

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 8:32 PM
  • User269602965 posted

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/confirmation.aspx?id=17718  full standalone install for development

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 8:36 PM
  • User-592976280 posted

What's the difference between the download from http://www.microsoft.com/net and the full standalone install for development?

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 12:27 PM
  • User269602965 posted

Not much from what I have seen.

But I do carry the standalone installer around with me to update client workstations.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 1:45 PM
  • User-592976280 posted

Windows Update had .NET Framework 4 Client Profile as an optional update. After installing that update, Windows Update gives 2 more Updates for .Net framework 4. I installed them all.

Now Windows\Microsoft .Net folder has Framework and Framework64 folders. Framework folder has from v1.0 to 4.0 while Framework64 folder has from v2.0 to 4.0. I guess that means my machine already has framework 4.0 installed, correct? And Framework folder is for 32bit? Not sure why it needs both 32bit and 64bit when my O.S. is 64bit.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 2:36 PM
  • User-592976280 posted

Any comments please?

Thursday, August 25, 2011 6:55 PM
  • User269602965 posted

Your OS might be 64-bit

but Visual Studio is 32-bit

and you can compile both 32-bit and 64-bit apps

you need both

Thursday, August 25, 2011 10:53 PM
  • User-592976280 posted

I install IIS Mgt Console only and it creates an empty inetpub folder. When I go into IIS and try to expand Default Web Site it pops up an error: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot'. How can that be fixed?

In windows XP when it installs IIS it creates inetpub folder and wwwroot subfolder. But why doesn't windows 7 do the same? Windows 7 doesn't create wwwroot subfolder.

Friday, August 26, 2011 8:00 AM
  • User269602965 posted

I disable the default website and application pool (STOP command).

Create your own Directory  like C:\MYIIS

then inside that you can add a folder for each website (one or more).

then create your own application pool

then create new website linked to the physical folder

assign the application pool to the web site.

You will have to learn some of the basics of web site configuration in IIS.

Many problems with IIS set up are traceable to PERMISSIONS PERMISSIONS PERMISSIONS.

IIS 7 in Windows 7 does not create same default folder schema as IIS 6 in XP.

Do some reading on IIS7.  Most of what I know I picked up in this cheap pocket book.

http://www.amazon.com/Internet-Information-Services-Administrators-Consultant/dp/0735623643/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314499431&sr=8-1

For development, you can assign your website the static IP of your LAN card and a free port like 7780.

(turn off Auto IP and Auto DNS and use Static)

Saturday, August 27, 2011 10:48 PM