none
Different Resource Rates - Same Plan, same time - Ideally same report RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have seen numerous posts about having 2 different resource rates within the same plan, applying to same task/resource.  For instance 'Actual Cost' and 'Actual Cost 2' with number 2 being 'b' from the Cost Rate table.  This would be excellent functionality in my view as certain companies could have an internal cost and a billing cost.  I would just setup another cost and apply it to achieve similar, however the 'effective from / to' aspect is important.  

So my question is - has anyone over come the limitation of either, having both costs visible in the plan at the same time without toggling rate table, or has anyone managed to achieve this in a SQL report?  Rates and effective dates are clearly in the table and DB, so surely we can get at these and achieve similar in a report?

Thanks for any help....

-CL

Monday, July 27, 2015 9:25 AM

Answers

• Hi,

First thing to know is that resource rates are not exposed in the Reporting db so if you want to work with them you will need to develop PSI code against Project Server, or VBA in Project Pro.

In a recent deployment, we faced the limitation where we had to have many rates for a resource, at least more than 5 due to the multiple roles a resource could have in the organization. We developed for that a .NET application where we could define as many rates as we need and associate each rate to a project and even a task. Thus we had no costs in Project Pro to also adress the confidentiality constraint and we provide project cost reports by coupling the work from MS Project to the correct rate from the application. 

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

• Marked as answer by -CL Tuesday, July 28, 2015 8:19 AM
    Monday, July 27, 2015 10:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First thing to know is that resource rates are not exposed in the Reporting db so if you want to work with them you will need to develop PSI code against Project Server, or VBA in Project Pro.

In a recent deployment, we faced the limitation where we had to have many rates for a resource, at least more than 5 due to the multiple roles a resource could have in the organization. We developed for that a .NET application where we could define as many rates as we need and associate each rate to a project and even a task. Thus we had no costs in Project Pro to also adress the confidentiality constraint and we provide project cost reports by coupling the work from MS Project to the correct rate from the application. 

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

• Marked as answer by -CL Tuesday, July 28, 2015 8:19 AM
    Monday, July 27, 2015 10:56 AM
  • Thank you.  Does indeed help...   Shame it works that way, seems that MS have missed a trick there.

Really appreciated.

-CL

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 8:19 AM