Azure Scheduler: Create a job to run .exe RRS feed

• Question

• Requirement: Run .exe using scheduler.

Question: How to do it for below Azure Services:

1. WebSites (PAAS)
    2. Virtual Machines (IAAS)
    3. Cloud Services
    • Edited by Prasad Phule Wednesday, February 25, 2015 6:43 AM created generic question
    Tuesday, February 24, 2015 3:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Prasad,

For Cloud service, I think you can use worker role to meet your requirement. Worker role could handle background processor. Also, you can use the startup task to run your exe. Please see this page:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/jj129545.aspx

Another approach, you can publish a endpoint and use the Azure scheduler to call this endpoint. When call endpoint, it could execute the EXE file. 

Regards,

Will

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 7:27 AM

All replies

• Hi Prasad,

Thanks for your feedback!

Base on my experience, Azure Scheduler and Azure Webjob are not applicable for your requirement. Azure Scheduler lets you create jobs in the cloud that reliably invoke services inside and outside of Azure—such as calling HTTP/S endpoints or posting messages to Azure Storage queues. And Azure webjobs are hosted in Azure as part of your Azure Websites . If you wants to use scheduler feature on Azure VM,I recommend you can use the Windows Task Scheduler is still available on Azure virtual machines, You can refer to this document about how to use task on windows OS:https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766428.aspx

Regards,

Will

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 5:34 AM
  • Hi Will,

Thanks for your reply, sorry I did mistake when i asked question, actually we are using Azure services as

1. Virtual Machine (IAAS) (for internal use purpose)
    2. Cloud Sevices  (our actual production code is here)

I got your answer about Azure Scheduler and Webjobs are applicable for Websites services. and For VMs (IAAS) Windows Task Scheduler.

What about Cloud Sevices?

Regards,

Prasad

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 7:02 AM
  • Hi Prasad,

For Cloud service, I think you can use worker role to meet your requirement. Worker role could handle background processor. Also, you can use the startup task to run your exe. Please see this page:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/jj129545.aspx

Another approach, you can publish a endpoint and use the Azure scheduler to call this endpoint. When call endpoint, it could execute the EXE file. 

Regards,

Will

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 7:27 AM