Could not load file or assembly. The given assembly name or codebase was invalid. RRS feed

• Question

• What assembly name? I've ripped the project a part and pieced it together from scratch, and if I create a new project name everything works OK, but if I erase the old project directory and recreate it, and then add the two source files in the same way that works just fine on a different project name, it gives me this same error again.

In other words, somehow my project spontaneuosly destroyed itself and will no longer let me create another project with the same name, no matter how thoroughly I delete the old project directory.

If the error message gave the slightest clue as to what the file was that was the culprit I could probably figure out where to go, but as it stands, my only option is to come up with a new name for a project that is already deployed. That would be a political nightmare and make me look like an idiot...

Thursday, January 24, 2008 1:19 AM

Answers

• I tried editing everything out of the files, one by one, each ItemGroup separately. That didn't get me any closer to figuring out what was going on. Fortunately I stumbled on this thread:  http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2737548&SiteID=1&mode=1

The problem has something to do with VS hosting. Just turn it off from the properties -> debug screen and it works great. Probably clears up some other issues as well, sounds like a security risk, and possibly a resource hog.
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 7:20 PM

All replies

• Oh yes, I'm running VS.NET 2005 and compiling a VB.NET project.
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 1:19 AM
  • open the .vbproj file with notepad....it contains all project references and source file names...

If you are working with a solution the .sln file will contain a ref to the included projects...

Hope that Helps

Thursday, January 24, 2008 2:51 AM
  • I tried editing everything out of the files, one by one, each ItemGroup separately. That didn't get me any closer to figuring out what was going on. Fortunately I stumbled on this thread:  http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2737548&SiteID=1&mode=1

The problem has something to do with VS hosting. Just turn it off from the properties -> debug screen and it works great. Probably clears up some other issues as well, sounds like a security risk, and possibly a resource hog.
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 7:20 PM