none
WCF service endpoint not found RRS feed

• Question

• What seems to be missing ?

When I added the application, the IIS Manager looks like this - but cannot seem to add server reference.

andrew

Thursday, September 7, 2017 8:25 PM

Answers

• OK finally figured out the reason I had slightly corrupted the name of the service when I tried to locate it ( name for service needed an underscore between ATERelay...

As far as locating the servers on the box, typing discover has drop down to just check in you project file.  Would be nice if there was a general search and discover tool.

The other question I had was is the process for creating a WFC service same as a Web Application when using IIS manager and yes it is Curiously enough the

C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\config\ applicationHost.config  doesnt seem to offer any clues as to if its a web application or a service.

andrew

• Marked as answer by andrewcw Friday, September 8, 2017 10:23 PM
    • Edited by andrewcw Friday, September 8, 2017 10:26 PM
    Friday, September 8, 2017 10:23 PM

All replies

• Hello Andrewcw,

Are you confusing IIS with Visual Studio?

Cheers, Jeff

Thursday, September 7, 2017 8:53 PM
  • When I try to use VS to locate the service reference it is not found.  The code ( other than the naming )  identical to the template WCF service application.  When run locally of course it is found at local host.  However with the code deployed to IIS and  using the application manager to assign the virtual directory, I cannot create a service reference.

I went on to the server , fired up a copy of VS and tried to add the service reference ( hence local host ) and just cannot see it.  I conclude I did something wrong in configuration at IIS manager  but what ?

andrew

Thursday, September 7, 2017 9:08 PM
  • When I try to use VS to locate the service reference it is not found.  The code ( other than the naming )  identical to the template WCF service application.  When run locally of course it is found at local host.  However with the code deployed to IIS and  using the application manager to assign the virtual directory, I cannot create a service reference.

I went on to the server , fired up a copy of VS and tried to add the service reference ( hence local host ) and just cannot see it.  I conclude I did something wrong in configuration at IIS manager  but what ?

andrew

Thursday, September 7, 2017 11:27 PM
  • You should be able to put the url for the svc in a browser address line and get back the service page. if you can't get the page, then the service is not running.

Thursday, September 7, 2017 11:31 PM
  • Correct - the service is not running. If it was we would have this thread.

BUT why is that ? From within the IIS Manager I added  the WCF application as though it was a Web application

from IIS.  Is it done the same way ??  as shown here ?

andrew

Friday, September 8, 2017 4:16 AM
  • And yes this just confirms its not up , but why wouldnt this  be  the address given  the virtual path is ATERelay ?

andrew

Friday, September 8, 2017 4:24 AM
  • You should delete the Website out of IIS.

1) right click Web project in Visual Studio

2) go to Properties

3) go to Web tab

4) go to list for IIS types and select local IIS

5) press the 'create virtual directory'

web solution is now deployed to local IIS.

you must set the Visual Studio short-cut to 'run as administrator' in order to do the above.

Friday, September 8, 2017 4:47 AM
  • oh, in VS on Add Service Reference, use the Discovery button to discover all Web services running on the machine.
    Friday, September 8, 2017 4:50 AM
  • OK finally figured out the reason I had slightly corrupted the name of the service when I tried to locate it ( name for service needed an underscore between ATERelay...

As far as locating the servers on the box, typing discover has drop down to just check in you project file.  Would be nice if there was a general search and discover tool.

The other question I had was is the process for creating a WFC service same as a Web Application when using IIS manager and yes it is Curiously enough the

C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\config\ applicationHost.config  doesnt seem to offer any clues as to if its a web application or a service.

andrew

• Marked as answer by andrewcw Friday, September 8, 2017 10:23 PM
    • Edited by andrewcw Friday, September 8, 2017 10:26 PM
    Friday, September 8, 2017 10:23 PM