Seamless Tile for background of web site. RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to build some tiles in Expression Design 4 that I can use for backgrounds. However I don't want the tiled look I would like to strech the tile to fit the screen. Is there a way in Design 4 to create seamless tiles?

I have a 50px by 50px image built but have not been able to figure out how to set it up for seamless.

DET
    Monday, July 12, 2010 11:03 PM

Answers

• I'm not sure what you mean with seamless: if you stretch one tile until it fits the screen, it is no more a tile, and will look very blurry and distorted if it is only 50px. This if you are saving it into jpg or png and using it in web page. If this tile is vector graphic and you are using it as xaml in Blend, it won't get blurry. But in this case, it's Blend the one to be told how to stretch your image.

Or do you want to create matching/repeating tiles, so tiles that have no abrupt edges and join or blend into each other?

• Marked as answer by DocTaylor Monday, January 24, 2011 10:53 PM
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 11:47 AM

All replies

• I'm not sure what you mean with seamless: if you stretch one tile until it fits the screen, it is no more a tile, and will look very blurry and distorted if it is only 50px. This if you are saving it into jpg or png and using it in web page. If this tile is vector graphic and you are using it as xaml in Blend, it won't get blurry. But in this case, it's Blend the one to be told how to stretch your image.

Or do you want to create matching/repeating tiles, so tiles that have no abrupt edges and join or blend into each other?

• Marked as answer by DocTaylor Monday, January 24, 2011 10:53 PM
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 11:47 AM
  • (en) I thing that solution to your problem, is to increase tile size of a few pixel more, what size of Slice.

(es) Creo que solucion de Tu problema, es aumentar tamaño de Azulejo unos pixeles mas, que tamaño del Slice

Tomasz
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 2:06 PM
  • I use in design 1

HAVE you tried importing the image into the swatch library and there are some possibilities to strech the swatch, skew etc

in (design 1 )help page image fills

greetings

• Proposed as answer by germaine1 Wednesday, July 14, 2010 6:11 PM
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 6:03 PM
  • I have a number of backgrounds that are small images, I want to be able to have the background look like that image but to completle fill the screen. Currently when I tried it it comes out as a bunch of small tiles. The images have some texture to them on one layer and then blend from blue to white as it goes down the image.

Not sure technically what you call that but some of the images that I have work fine but the ones that I have created do not.

Thanks for your help in this..

DET
    Friday, July 16, 2010 3:59 PM
  • Are you using the images in Design to fill other objects?

Can you please post one of the images that work fine and one of those that don't, or a screenshot of the problem?

Thanks

Monday, July 19, 2010 1:47 AM
  • Glad to see someone interested in repeating seamless tiles!  I use Photoshop to create them.  They do require some tweaking to create.  First you turn the image inside out to make the tile seamless and repeatable.  Its a very easy process in photoshop.  Although it makes a repeatable tile, the seams are moved from the exterior edges to the interior of the tile.  You then tweak the interior of the image in PS to heal the seams.  I usually do 100x100 tiles as it is easier to heal a larger image.  You can find many examples of PS seamless tiles on the WEB.  Once you have your image, just repeat it, don't strech it.  You can get unique effects that I have not seen anyone use.  Some advise not to do this as it has performance impacts.  I have not found this to be true.  You see repeating tiles on the Web all the time.  I do not have access to Expression so I unfamiliar what capablities are provided.  But you may be using the wrong tool.
    Friday, October 8, 2010 6:17 PM
  • Doug, the method you described is interesting! I was thinking at how it could be applied to Design, it will be good to create seamless images for fillings. That's my take:

Friday, October 8, 2010 11:00 PM