none
Need help with setting up server RRS feed

• Question

• So, here is what I am trying to accomplish.  We are going to assume that I have the hardware I will be running Windows Server on.

I would like:

• To have our email go through the server
    • To have all files in specific folder on a work computer sync with the server.  Example: If I am on a work laptop and I save something to my desktop, only I have that file.  However, if I save it to My Documents, that folder is synced with the server.  So, if I saved an excel spreadsheet in My Documents, everyone could view it and edit it and we would all see the changes in real time.
    • To be able to limit permissions on files/folders to groups of users.  Example: When someone on their work computer logs in with a "employee" account, and they access my documents, they can only see the files that they have permission to view.  If an owner were to sign in, on that same computer, they would be able to access the employee documents and the owner documents.
    • To be able to do this externally.  It will always be accessed from a work computer, so if this requires software to be installed on each work computer that is okay.  Example: If I am working from home with my laptop and my peer makes a change to an excel spreadsheet, that file should update on my computer even though I am at my house.
    • All the work computers need to be synced through the server.  Essentially, like the school system has it.  You are presented with a normal windows login, but anything you do is logged by the server.  Basically, I want the work computers to be running a virtualization of the server.

I am not sure if I have used the proper wording or have expressed myself thoroughly enough.  I also do not know if this is the correct forum to post this topic to, could a Moderator please move if it's in the wrong category?

I am looking for guidance or direction, anything would be appreciated.

Please ask as many questions as you can, as I am sure I have not explained what I need done perfectly.  The work computers can have anything installed on them and price is not a parameter.  I am willing to pay for all software needed to accomplish this.

Thank you for reading,

- haxifix

Thursday, June 16, 2016 8:12 PM

All replies

• You want OneDrive for Business.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Thursday, June 16, 2016 8:32 PM
  • We do not want to have to connect to anything external that isn't our own hardware.  Is this possible with OneDrive for Business?

Can you explain how I would accomplish each bullet point with OneDrive for Business?

Thursday, June 16, 2016 9:22 PM