none
Migrating from BizTalk 2002 to 2006 R2 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Dear Gurus,

We are in the process of migrating a 2002 application to R2. The current 2002 setup uses a map with custome functionoids and an AIC. After going through the forums, MSDN articles and lot of googling, it seems like there is no easy way to migrate the AIC and map with custome functionoids. I tried the BizTalk Migration project. I was able to pick the receive function and port from the list, but the migration failed with "Object Reference not set to an instance of the Object" error when it started migrating the map. Did some search on this and couldn't find anything useful. So I assumed it has to do with the custome scripts in the map. So went ahead and removed all the vbScript routines from the map. Tried the migration wizard again, but had no luck.

In the worse case scenario, I could configure the Party, Ports, locations etc in R2. But I have no idea what to do with the Map and AIC. I used the 2002 mapper tool to get the basic shell of the map and once I have the basic shell, I used custome XSLT because it gives more flexibility than the mapper. Some of the functionoids generated by the mapper were replaced by built-in XSLT functions and some with vbScript functions/procedures. How do I migrate this to R2? The 837 schemas used in 2002 are different from the ones in R2. In the worse case scenario I am thinking about doing search and replace to convert the 2002 837 schema references to R2. There have to be better way od doing this. How about the AIC? I don't see anything under the settings where you could specify and AIC. I really appreciate if you guys could point me in the right direction. I don't think starting fresh with R2 is this painful.

thanks.

Monday, December 1, 2008 10:50 PM

Answers

• I know this will sound painful, but you might try working with a previous version of the BizTalk project migrator to upgrade your 2002 components. You should create a VPC with BizTalk Server 2004, and Visual Studio 2003 on it and try to upgrade to the 2004 version to see if it correctly handles the map. It is possible the updates to 2006 R2 were not tested as far back as 2002.

Thanks,

• Proposed as answer by edhickey Tuesday, January 20, 2009 2:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ben Cline1Moderator Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:02 AM
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 11:10 PM

All replies

• For schema migration you can use below tool:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2006\SDK\Utilities\MicrosoftEDI\BTS06EdiSchemaMigrator.exe

It should migrate old Hipaa schemas to R2.

Bhola

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 9:14 AM
  • I am in the same boat, for maps we have started from scratch 837I etc...for AIC use send pipelines extreme case use File Send Adapters, also orchestration is not needed at all...depends..in our case we just use promotion for content routings voilla everything is working out so far!
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 1:56 PM
  • Thank you guys for the reply.

Bhola,

I am OK with the schemas. My concern is with map migration. I have a Migration Project in VS2005 and the Migration wizard is failing with the "Object Reference not set to an instance of the object" error when it attempts to migrate the Map with custome functionoids. I understand that the functionoids won't get migrated through the migration wizard. But the migration process didn't even complete. Is this the expected behaviour if you have custome code in the map?

thanks.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 3:15 PM
  • are u referring to the migration tool of schemas or did u get the map migrator(dont think it was shipped) and are trying to use it

Thursday, December 4, 2008 11:50 AM
  • Ravi,

If you select "BizTalk server Migration project" from the BizTalk Project Types in VS 2005, immediately it launches the "Microsoft BizTalk Server 2006 Migration Wizard". The first screen prompts you to select the BizTalk 2002 management database. When I specified the right server name and database name (interchangeBTM), I got to the second screen which prompts you to select the Receive functions. The third screen prompts you to select the Port and finally it runs the migration process.

This is the log file generated by the migration wizard

5:02:10 PM: Created empty migrated BizTalk Server 2004 Project.
    5:02:10 PM: The project name is BizTalkMigration2.
    5:02:10 PM: The project path is C:\BizTalk Projects\BizTalkMigration2.
    5:02:22 PM: Initializing...
    5:02:22 PM: Beginning initialization of the binding file.
    5:02:22 PM: Finished initialization of the binding file.
    5:02:22 PM: Connecting to interchangebtm database on ba-bt01...
    5:02:22 PM: Loading Receive Functions from database.
    5:02:22 PM: Fininished loading Receive Functions from database.
    5:02:22 PM: Connected to BTS2002 database successfully.
    5:03:59 PM: Following selected artifacts will be migrated: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?><MigratedArtifacts><PortGroups /><Ports><Port Name="Port to Service MP Outbound x12 837 Inst"><Envelope Name="Envelope for X12 Transactions" /><Channel Name="Channel to Service MP Outbound x12 837 Inst"><Map Name="Map for PHCS Institutional" /><Schema Name="Doc spec for QVCMF12" /><Schema Name="Doc spec for MP 837 Inst" /></Channel></Port></Ports><ReceiveFunctions><ReceiveFunction Name="File pickup for MP x12 837 Inst"><Envelope Name="Envelope for QVCMF12" /></ReceiveFunction></ReceiveFunctions></MigratedArtifacts>
    5:03:59 PM: Starting whole migration process...
    5:03:59 PM: Starting migration of artifacts...
    5:03:59 PM: Starting migration of PortStick out tongueort to Service MP Outbound x12 837 Inst.
    5:03:59 PM: Starting migration of Channel:Channel to Service MP Outbound x12 837 Inst.
    5:03:59 PM: Starting migration of SchemaBig Smileoc spec for QVCMF12.
    5:03:59 PM: Finished migration of Schema Big Smileoc spec for QVCMF12.
    5:03:59 PM: Starting migration of SchemaBig Smileoc spec for MP 837 Inst.
    5:04:02 PM: Finished migration of Schema Big Smileoc spec for MP 837 Inst.
    5:04:02 PM: Starting migration of Map:Map for PHCS Institutional.
    5:04:02 PM: Unrecoverable error encountered during migration process, detailed message:Error:Error during migration of Port Port to Service MP Outbound x12 837 Inst, detailed error message:Error during migration of Channel Channel to Service MP Outbound x12 837 Inst, detailed error message:Error during migration of Map Map for PHCS Institutional, detailed error message:Error creating migrated Map Map for PHCS Institutional, detailed error messageSurprisebject reference not set to an instance of an object.
    5:04:09 PM: Migration process finished with error.

thanks

Thursday, December 4, 2008 3:23 PM
  • Ravi,

Were you able to take a look at the above log? Really appreciate your help on this.

thanks

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 9:38 PM
  • I know this will sound painful, but you might try working with a previous version of the BizTalk project migrator to upgrade your 2002 components. You should create a VPC with BizTalk Server 2004, and Visual Studio 2003 on it and try to upgrade to the 2004 version to see if it correctly handles the map. It is possible the updates to 2006 R2 were not tested as far back as 2002.

Thanks,

• Proposed as answer by edhickey Tuesday, January 20, 2009 2:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ben Cline1Moderator Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:02 AM
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 11:10 PM
  • Hey guys,

Am on the same road,do you ever get sucessfully completed your migration from 2002 to 2006 ?

Thanks

Monday, January 26, 2009 6:37 PM
  • Hi Vai2000

You guys have any luck to migrate 837I (Biztalk 2002) to Biztalk 2006 using migrator tool ?

Please help me to give some suggestion ,what are all the possibilities to migrate.

Thanks

Monday, January 26, 2009 6:45 PM
  • I ended up manually converting the 2002 to map to the 2006 R2 format. Took me around 4 hours to convert the 837P map. Replaced the AIC with a Custom pipline component. I had no choice. If you find a better way please share with me.

thanks

• Proposed as answer by Jackie_1986 Thursday, February 12, 2009 9:11 PM
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 10:46 PM
  • Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your reply,that give me some solid answer for my doubts.(no way to use wizard to migrate)

Look like i have to start from scratch,if you don't mind ,can you please send your sample 837P map (Biztalk 2006),that will helps me a lot to get an idea how to start with.

i don't know to attach my map here,so i will paste my map in the next thread.

Thanks in advance

Thursday, February 12, 2009 9:11 PM
  • Hi Joesph,

I can't able to paste my map here,bcoz too many lines it contents.
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 9:56 PM
  • Hi Joseph,

The errors you sent the log for are for migrating the ports. Did you eventually get around that issue? I do realize that we dont have an out of box option for migrating maps. Apologize for the delay in responding.

All: Please share your experiences on migration on this forum or send mail to me a ravi.sekhar at microsoft dot com

regds
    Monday, March 30, 2009 7:38 AM
  • Hi,

We are planning to migrate from BizTalk 2002 to BizTalk 2009. Is there any way/document that describes the steps? Is it possible to migrate directly from 2002 to 2009 without having to go through the painful steps of migrating from 2002 to 2004 to 2006 to 2009?

Thank You!!
    Monday, June 15, 2009 8:19 PM
  • Use Adapter for AIC works like a charm!

SV
    Monday, June 15, 2009 8:22 PM