none
Bing Maps v8 My Location Not Toggling RRS feed

• Question

• The v8 map contructor with showLocateMeButton set to true permits users to center the map on their location but pressing the button again doesn't remove the icon. 

Is this by design or is there some secret to allowing users to turn their location on and off?

Sunday, July 16, 2017 12:54 AM

Answers

• Funny enough it never added a pushpin before. Not sure when one was added. I will add a feature request to provide a way to remove the pushpins. Note that it toggling likely isn't what will be added as its primary function it to bring the map to where the user is. If the user pans the map and uses the button, it should re-center the map.

That said, there is a map option to hide this button. You can easily hide this and create your own button which would give you full control of the user experience. The user location button just uses the geolocation API that is in the browser.

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Monday, July 17, 2017 3:49 AM
  • That sounds reasonable. I've left the implementation open ended in the feature request and linked to this forum post. The engineering team will likely sync up with a UX designer to get their input before doing anything.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017 2:07 AM

All replies

• Funny enough it never added a pushpin before. Not sure when one was added. I will add a feature request to provide a way to remove the pushpins. Note that it toggling likely isn't what will be added as its primary function it to bring the map to where the user is. If the user pans the map and uses the button, it should re-center the map.

That said, there is a map option to hide this button. You can easily hide this and create your own button which would give you full control of the user experience. The user location button just uses the geolocation API that is in the browser.

Monday, July 17, 2017 3:49 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

The toggle behavior is popular in applications and would be a space saver for mobile devices. 

Nothing lost by pressing twice to recenter rather than delete. 

Just to see a better Bing Maps, I think it would be a good choice of behavior.

Monday, July 17, 2017 11:42 PM
  • That sounds reasonable. I've left the implementation open ended in the feature request and linked to this forum post. The engineering team will likely sync up with a UX designer to get their input before doing anything.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017 2:07 AM