Trouble installing Windows 8 Dev preview

Question

• I tried installing it on one of my laptops and haven't been successful as it will hang at a black screen after it reboots. I tried installing it twice and now when the lap top starts up it asks for me to choose what I was to start up with which lists Windows Dev twice and Windows 7 which Windows 7 is the only one that works. Wondering if anyone has had the same issue with it hanging up after rebooting and what I might be able to do to get rid of the two copies of Windows Dev as it is annoying having to have to choose each time it starts up. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Specs:

Windows 7 64 bit

Intel Celerun CPU 900 @ 2.20GHz 2.19GHz

Ram 3GB

Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset

Monday, October 10, 2011 5:38 AM

All replies

• hi there,

have you tried booting into safe mode on the win8 install?

if you finally go with the getting rid of entries, i strongly suggest reverting to backup.

else you can have a look at the bcdedit command which will get you Off the two useless entries the setup has created.

beware though that uninstalling Dev Preview is unsupported and that getting in touch with your bootloader might get your original win7 mixed up real bad...but you already know this i'm sure...

to my opinion, try getting the Win8 up and running, i found it quite a good first draw!

best regards,

Pierre.

Http://www.redkaffe.com - Consultant/Formateur en region PACA
    Monday, October 10, 2011 11:31 AM
  • So should I do a clean install of windows 8 to get rid of the copies then?
    Monday, October 10, 2011 4:52 PM
  • If you don't have any data you care about on the drive I would do a clean install (boot off the install media & delete all partitions, then install).
    Monday, October 10, 2011 6:54 PM